Old 03-24-2009, 12:38 AM
SOrCErEr

Default Who mount sysfs?

Hello,

My gentoo system has a problem.
It has not mounted sysfs while boot process.
I have to do mount sysfs by my hand now.

Of course, udev rc scripts has line of "need sysfs". And udev rc script was added in sysinit service.

So I would like to know who mounts sysfs when Gentoo in boot process in general.

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:38 +0900, SOrCErEr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My gentoo system has a problem.
> It has not mounted sysfs while boot process.
> I have to do mount sysfs by my hand now.
>
> Of course, udev rc scripts has line of "need sysfs". And udev rc
> script was added in sysinit service.
> So I would like to know who mounts sysfs when Gentoo in boot process
> in general.

Your friends at udev.

The "need sysfs" means that udev needs the sysfs service to start. Of
course it's wrapped around a "if [ -f /etc/init.d/sysfs ]; then"... so
is that file missing?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 AM
SOrCErEr

2009/3/24 Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org>

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:38 +0900, SOrCErEr wrote:

> Hello,

> My gentoo system has a problem.

> It has not mounted sysfs while boot process.

> I have to do mount sysfs by my hand now.

> Of course, udev rc scripts has line of "need sysfs". And udev rc

> script was added in sysinit service.

> So I would like to know who mounts sysfs when Gentoo in boot process

> in general.

Your friends at udev.

The "need sysfs" means that udev needs the sysfs service to start. *Of

course it's wrapped around a "if [ -f /etc/init.d/sysfs ]; then"... so

is that file missing?

No, that isn't. That file exists.
So I tested like below.

/etc/init.d/udev stop
/etc/init.d/sysfs stop
/etc/init.d/udev start
/etc/init.d/sysfs status

Result is
"* status: stopped"

Actually, sysfs rc strip has no "stop" function. So sysfs is not unmounted.
But in my opinion, status of sysfs must be "started" after udev started.

I fix this problem while I write this mail.

I renamed sysfs rc strip filename and restarted udev to check whether it fails or not.
And I confirmed it failed.
Then restored sysfs rc strip filename and started udev.

Surprisingly sysfs started automatically before start udev. It fixed.

Still I don't know why it happened. It's very confuse

Anyway, thank you for your help
Your comments are helping me to do some more things

Old 03-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 05:01:36 SOrCErEr wrote:
> No, that isn't. That file exists.
> So I tested like below.
>
> /etc/init.d/udev stop
> /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
> /etc/init.d/udev start
> /etc/init.d/sysfs status
>
> Result is
> "* status: stopped"

I had this problem recently. I had updated to udev-140 and forgot to run conf-
update to fic the changed config file.

Did you recently update udev?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 05:01:36 SOrCErEr wrote:
> > No, that isn't. That file exists.
> > So I tested like below.
> >
> > /etc/init.d/udev stop
> > /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
> > /etc/init.d/udev start
> > /etc/init.d/sysfs status
> >
> > Result is
> > "* status: stopped"
>
> I had this problem recently. I had updated to udev-140 and forgot to run
> conf- update to fic the changed config file.
>
> Did you recently update udev?

I am confused reading this thread. I have sysfs mounted:

$ mount | grep sysfs
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)

However, I do not have sysfs in /etc/init.d/sysfs.
Mick

Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Dale

Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 05:01:36 SOrCErEr wrote:
>>
>>> No, that isn't. That file exists.
>>> So I tested like below.
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/udev stop
>>> /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
>>> /etc/init.d/udev start
>>> /etc/init.d/sysfs status
>>>
>>> Result is
>>> "* status: stopped"
>>>
>> I had this problem recently. I had updated to udev-140 and forgot to run
>> conf- update to fic the changed config file.
>>
>> Did you recently update udev?
>>

> I am confused reading this thread. I have sysfs mounted:
>
> $ mount | grep sysfs
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
>
> However, I do not have sysfs in /etc/init.d/sysfs.

Same here. Both the confused part and the not have the init script
sysfs. I was sort of worried about rebooting. Glad it is not just me.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 10:34:40 Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 March 2009 05:01:36 SOrCErEr wrote:
> > > No, that isn't. That file exists.
> > > So I tested like below.
> > >
> > > /etc/init.d/udev stop
> > > /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
> > > /etc/init.d/udev start
> > > /etc/init.d/sysfs status
> > >
> > > Result is
> > > "* status: stopped"
> >
> > I had this problem recently. I had updated to udev-140 and forgot to run
> > conf- update to fic the changed config file.
> >
> > Did you recently update udev?
>
> I am confused reading this thread. I have sysfs mounted:
>
> $ mount | grep sysfs
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
>
> However, I do not have sysfs in /etc/init.d/sysfs.

it's done by udev, so there is no separate init script for sysfs

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 08:34 +0000, Mick wrote:

> $ mount | grep sysfs
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
>
> However, I do not have sysfs in /etc/init.d/sysfs.

Likely you are using a different baselayout. There are 6 different
baselayouts that work in 7 different ways ;-)

-a

Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Dale (rdalek1967@gmail.com) [24.03.09 19:54]:
> Mick wrote:
> >
> > $ mount | grep sysfs
> > sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
> >
> > However, I do not have sysfs in /etc/init.d/sysfs.
> >

> Same here. Both the confused part and the not have the init script
> sysfs. I was sort of worried about rebooting. Glad it is not just me.
>
> Dale

equery b /etc/init.d/sysfs
[ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/sysfs in *... ]
sys-apps/openrc-0.4.3-r1 (/etc/init.d/sysfs)
^
Unless you have this everything should be OK.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:01 PM, SOrCErEr <omentie@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/3/24 Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org>
>>
>> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:38 +0900, SOrCErEr wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > My gentoo system has a problem.
>> > It has not mounted sysfs while boot process.
>> > I have to do mount sysfs by my hand now.
>> >
>> > Of course, udev rc scripts has line of "need sysfs". And udev rc
>> > script was added in sysinit service.
>> > So I would like to know who mounts sysfs when Gentoo in boot process
>> > in general.
>>
>> Your friends at udev.
>>
>> The "need sysfs" means that udev needs the sysfs service to start. Of
>> course it's wrapped around a "if [ -f /etc/init.d/sysfs ]; then"... so
>> is that file missing?
>>

> No, that isn't. That file exists.
> So I tested like below.
>
> /etc/init.d/udev stop
> /etc/init.d/sysfs stop
> /etc/init.d/udev start
> /etc/init.d/sysfs status
>
> Result is
> "* status: stopped"
>
> Actually, sysfs rc strip has no "stop" function. So sysfs is not unmounted.
> But in my opinion, status of sysfs must be "started" after udev started.

> I fix this problem while I write this mail.
>
> I renamed sysfs rc strip filename and restarted udev to check whether it
> fails or not.
> And I confirmed it failed.
> Then restored sysfs rc strip filename and started udev.
>
> Surprisingly sysfs started automatically before start udev. It fixed.
>
> Still I don't know why it happened. It's very confuse
>
> Anyway, thank you for your help
> Your comments are helping me to do some more things

I think /etc/init.d/sysfs just sets up the mounts and then exits, so
there is no need for a "stop" since it is never in a "running" state
(well, maybe for a split second). there is no sysfs daemon and running
status of /etc/init.d/sysfs does not indicate whether or not sysfs is
mounted. I think you should check /proc/mounts for that. But I could
be wrong.