Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Sebastian Günther

Default Syslog-ng using a spectacular amount of CPU time... (I'm using sshguard)

* Steve (gentoo_sjh@shic.co.uk) [23.03.09 20:27]:
> Steve wrote:
> >> destination sshguardproc {
> >> program("/usr/local/sbin/sshguard"
> >> template("$DATE $FULLHOST $MESSAGE
"));
> >> };

program() only takes 1 argument: the programname.

Any thing you want to pass, you have to define via a log statement.

BTW: Just curious: you do not use the sshguard from portage, or why is
it a /usr/local/sbin?

HTH
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Steve

Sebastian Günther wrote:

program() only takes 1 argument: the programname.

There aren't two arguments (no comma) - and, yes, the syntax is odd -
but it is exactly what is given by the sshguard man page - and seems to
be confirmed by the syslog-ng manual, too.
BTW: Just curious: you do not use the sshguard from portage, or why is
it a /usr/local/sbin?

That was my error (a really dumb one!) I'd assumed that the binary from
portage was running - whereas my process list showed /bin/sh failing to
run a non-existent program.

I guess the man page could be improved for gentoo by giving an example
using the default install location for sshguard - but that's a very
minor issue.

I'd expected better error reporting by syslog-ng for a faulty
configuration - ho-hum.