Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Default setting a USE flags for many packages

Hi,

I normally like to have the documentation built for all packages.
Therefore I have added 'doc' to /etc/make.conf USE

But I don't need documentation for the packages in kde-base/*
and kde-misc/*.
Since some of these take over an hour just for doxygen (on a Phenom II
3GHz) I'd like to disable the generation of documentation for all these
packages.

How can I set the '-doc' use flags for all packages matching kde-base/*
and kde-misc/* (There are hundreds of them!)

Note, I cannot use 'USE=-doc' on the command line since
emerge --update --complete-graph --reinstall changed-use world
would then reinstall many other packages to remove the documentation
which I doesn't want.

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 03-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Valmor de Almeida

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I set the '-doc' use flags for all packages matching kde-base/*
> and kde-misc/* (There are hundreds of them!)

I don't know whether the /etc/portage/package.use file will accept this
syntax but maybe you can do something like

kde-base/* -doc

not sure.

--
Valmor

Old 03-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 22 March 2009 18:57:16 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > Hi,

> > How can I set the '-doc' use flags for all packages matching kde-base/*
> > and kde-misc/* (There are hundreds of them!)
>
> I don't know whether the /etc/portage/package.use file will accept this
> syntax but maybe you can do something like
>
> kde-base/* -doc

It's not supported:

--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.use: kde-base/*

The OP has two choices really: remove the flags from USE and explicitly list
the packages for which he does want documentation, or insert the flag into USE
and explictly list the packages for which he wants the documentation removed.

So you are reduced to grep, sed, awk and friends. Here's one (grossly
inefficient) method:

equery -q hasuse doc | xargs qatom | cut -f1-2 -d ' ' | sed -e 's/ ///' -e
's/$/ -doc/' >> /etc/portage/package.use/package.use

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:43:29 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> I normally like to have the documentation built for all packages.
> Therefore I have added 'doc' to /etc/make.conf USE

Are you aware that the doc USE flag normally controls extra documentation,
such as API docs for devs? Normal documentation, like man and info pages,
is generally built by default. You're probably better off with -doc in
make.conf and only enable it for the packages you need.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 009: Horrible bug encountered - God knows what has happened

Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Helmut Jarausch

Thanks for the albeit sad news!

Helmut.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:43:29 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>

>> I normally like to have the documentation built for all packages.
>> Therefore I have added 'doc' to /etc/make.conf USE
>>

> Are you aware that the doc USE flag normally controls extra documentation,
> such as API docs for devs? Normal documentation, like man and info pages,
> is generally built by default. You're probably better off with -doc in
> make.conf and only enable it for the packages you need.

This is true. I have had -doc in make.conf for a looooong time and I
still have all the man and info pages. I can't say that I have even
missed anything really.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 22 March 2009 21:53:25 Dale wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:43:29 +0100 (CET), Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> I normally like to have the documentation built for all packages.
> >> Therefore I have added 'doc' to /etc/make.conf USE
> >
> > Are you aware that the doc USE flag normally controls extra
> > documentation, such as API docs for devs? Normal documentation, like man
> > and info pages, is generally built by default. You're probably better off
> > with -doc in make.conf and only enable it for the packages you need.
>
> This is true. I have had -doc in make.conf for a looooong time and I
> still have all the man and info pages. I can't say that I have even
> missed anything really.

Same here. Well, almost. I have USE=doc set for 13 packages thinking at the
time they were extremely useful. In practise the only one I have ever actually
referred to is the html version of the mplayer man page. Go figure :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Mick

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 22 March 2009 21:53:25 Dale wrote:
> > Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you aware that the doc USE flag normally controls extra
> > > documentation, such as API docs for devs? Normal documentation, like
> > > man and info pages, is generally built by default. You're probably
> > > better off with -doc in make.conf and only enable it for the packages
> > > you need.
> >
> > This is true. I have had -doc in make.conf for a looooong time and I
> > still have all the man and info pages. I can't say that I have even
> > missed anything really.
>
> Same here. Well, almost. I have USE=doc set for 13 packages thinking at the
> time they were extremely useful. In practise the only one I have ever
> actually referred to is the html version of the mplayer man page. Go figure
> :-)

There's no need to set -doc in your make.conf as this is the default:

# euse -i doc
global use flags (searching: doc)
[- ] doc - Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)

local use flags (searching: doc)
[- ] doc (app-crypt/mit-krb5):
Creates and installs the API and implementation documentation. This is only
useful if you want to develop software which depends on kerberos.

[- ] doc (app-misc/beagle):
Builds programmer documentation for Beagle using app-doc/monodoc.

[- ] doc (dev-php5/ZendFramework):
Installs the documentation

[- ] doc (dev-python/wxpython):
Install HTML wxWidgets docs and wxpython API reference.

[- ] doc (media-libs/swfdec):
Build documentation

[- ] doc (net-analyzer/cacti):
install html documentation

[- ] doc (net-print/hplip):
Build documentation

[- ] doc (sys-apps/hal):
Generates documentation that describes HAL's fdi format.

HTH.
Mick