Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Florian Philipp

Default Gentoo as OpenVZ/Virtuozzo guest

Hi list!

I recently acquired a virtual server at hosteurope.de

However, I slowly loose my patience with the OpenSuse installation and
would like to have my fellow Gentoo on it.

I already found this guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/vps/openvz-howto.xml

But it doesn't say much about how to run the guest.

How do I have to configure the kernel?
Which sources can I use?
What about a hardened system?

What is this "vzfs" file system?
Can I use partitions?

When anything goes wrong, can I still use the repair mode? How does it
shut down my server before giving me a fresh installation from which I
can chroot into it?

Thanks in advance,
Florian Philipp

Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Jarry

I recently acquired a virtual server at hosteurope.de
How do I have to configure the kernel?

Which sources can I use?

I'd say you do not need any sources, because as you wrote,
you have guest. openvz/virtuozzo uses one single kernel
running on host (similar as vserver-linux).

As it is common, company offering virtual servers has a pool
of guest-systems you can choose from (iirc, hosteurope offers
debian, ubuntu, suse, and some kinds of windoze). You can not
install a guest system of your choice, but you can ask them
and maybe they will prepare it for you. Then you get root
access to your guest system, and you can do with it whatever
you want (except of building new kernel)...

Jarry

Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Florian Philipp

Jarry schrieb:
> Florian Philipp wrote:
>> I recently acquired a virtual server at hosteurope.de
>> ... How do I have to configure the kernel?
>> Which sources can I use?
>
> I'd say you do not need any sources, because as you wrote,
> you have guest. openvz/virtuozzo uses one single kernel
> running on host (similar as vserver-linux).
>
> As it is common, company offering virtual servers has a pool
> of guest-systems you can choose from (iirc, hosteurope offers
> debian, ubuntu, suse, and some kinds of windoze). You can not
> install a guest system of your choice, but you can ask them
> and maybe they will prepare it for you. Then you get root
> access to your guest system, and you can do with it whatever
> you want (except of building new kernel)...
>
> Jarry

Never mind,

I've just found this howto:
http://log.onthebrink.de/2008/04/gentoo-on-1-vserver.html

Can't promise that I won't come back with more questions, though