Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Paul Hartman

Default Time to move on?

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 16:54:21 Momesso Andrea wrote:
>>> Unfortunatly my BlackBerry doesn't allow bottom posting. I hope you guys
>>> forgive me for the few times I answer on this list using my mobile
>>> device.
>>
>> What? There's no down arrow on a BlackBerry?
>>
>> I don't have one of those devices, and fully intend to never have one, so if
>> there's a stupid implementation of the reply function, I'd never know it. But
>> just asking, that's all.
>
> There are many devices and webmail services that do quoting in the
> "Microsoft Outlook" style -- putting a one-line divider between the
> reply and the original message. No indentation or nesting of replies.
> This makes it harder to reply to specific parts of e-mails, but does
> show you the entire conversation unaltered (when everyone uses
> Outlook, anyway) -- and some companies actually /require/ that style
> of quoting, believe it or not.

I will add that e-mail clients that are geared toward HTML e-mail tend
to go the top-posting route, too, because doing the traditional
quoting of HTML e-mails is nearly impossible.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Christer Ekholm

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> writes:
> Albert Hopkins wrote:
>>
>> Uh.. you don't "disable" it. You simply don't use the alias.
>>
> Oh, OK. <Dale waves hand over head.> If it is set up to add that
> option, how do you tell it not to use it?

You can type backslash before a alias to not use the alias.

alias ls='ls --color'

now ls lists with colors and ls just runs the first ls found in your
$PATH

--
Christer

Old 03-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 17:16:51 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 March 2009 16:54:21 Momesso Andrea wrote:
> >> Unfortunatly my BlackBerry doesn't allow bottom posting. I hope you guys
> >> forgive me for the few times I answer on this list using my mobile
> >> device.
> >
> > What? There's no down arrow on a BlackBerry?
> >
> > I don't have one of those devices, and fully intend to never have one, so
> > if there's a stupid implementation of the reply function, I'd never know
> > it. But just asking, that's all.
>
> There are many devices and webmail services that do quoting in the
> "Microsoft Outlook" style -- putting a one-line divider between the
> reply and the original message. No indentation or nesting of replies.
> This makes it harder to reply to specific parts of e-mails, but does
> show you the entire conversation unaltered (when everyone uses
> Outlook, anyway)

haha, fat chance of that on a Gentoo list :-)

> -- and some companies actually /require/ that style
> of quoting, believe it or not.

<sigh> I know. I work for one. email style is driven by the sales people.

But us techies ignore the rules and do it our way anyway - we admin the mail
relays

> Replying to specific parts of an e-mail in Outlook (etc) is usually a
> joke. People resort to strange combinations of colorizing, changing
> fonts, emboldening, italicizing, etc. All of it is hideous and was
> solved 30 years ago by simple indentation and nesting of quotes...
> Thanks a lot, Microsoft.
>
> I use gmail for this and other mailing lists; it collapses quoted text
> and shows e-mails in a conversational view. It really does a good job
> of it and the top-posting and quoting-of-entire-emails really becomes
> a non-issue. It's the next best thing to having everyone quote
> properly.

Yes, gmail is quite good at it in a browser. It's ben ages since I did that
though - I pop my mail and just use the web end to scan the spam folder once a
month

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Graham Murray

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> writes:

> There are many devices and webmail services that do quoting in the
> "Microsoft Outlook" style -- putting a one-line divider between the
> reply and the original message. No indentation or nesting of replies.
> This makes it harder to reply to specific parts of e-mails, but does
> show you the entire conversation unaltered (when everyone uses
> Outlook, anyway) -- and some companies actually /require/ that style
> of quoting, believe it or not.

Maybe because it follows more closely (one of) the standard ways of
filing correspondence - maintaining a paper file by adding each new
document on top on top of the 'pile'.