Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM
Mike Diehl

Default Time to move on?

Ok now, I'm getting fed up with all of the breakage that I've seen in Gentoo in the last few months.

I'm trying to upgrade MythTV. Emerge told me to upgrade my profile, which I did.

Now I'm doing an emerge -u world.

But before I could do that, I had to upgrade portage, with made sense.

When I go to emerge -u portage, I'm told:

sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-7.1)

So I do:

emerge -C mktemp

Now I've gotten a whole page of error messages. The most basic of error messages indicates that the system can't load libselinux.so.1.

I'm not using SElinux!!!! Nor do I want to.

All I want to do is upgrade a machine that I built a few months ago. In fact, all I want to do is upgrade a SINGLE PACKAGE on that machine!!!

Has Gentoo become such a moving target that it's no longer suitable for normal, every day, usage?

I've got another machine that needs to be upgraded, but hasn't been upgraded in some time. So it's profile is obsolete and many of the core packages have been moved around so much that there is no upgrade path from where it is now, to where Gentoo is.

Is it time to start looking for a new distribution? It seems that as long as I keep rebuilding machines from a current live CD, all is well. But if I try to upgrade anything else, I end up having to reformat. I've been using Gentoo long enough to have actually met Daniel Robbins in person, but I'm considering moving to a different distribution.

Remember, all I want to do is upgrade MythTV.

Mike.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Mike Kazantsev

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:17:53 -0600
Mike Diehl <mdiehl@diehlnet.com> wrote:

> Has Gentoo become such a moving target that it's no longer suitable for
> normal, every day, usage?

If you're prepared to update you system at least once a week and
have up-to-date knowledge of all the installed stuff, so you can at
least make a decision whether you need some functionality or not...
Then yep, I'd suggest gentoo.

If you don't care about either then I don't understand why you started
using it in first place - red hat or debian-based distro would've been
much easier and simplier.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net