Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default Monitoring temperatures

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:58:05 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > Most BIOSes will do this automatically,although they tend to let the
> > temperature get quite high. lm_sensors includes a daemon that will
> > monitor temperatures and send warnings and alarms.

> I may be wrong here, but doesn't it just shut off like cutting off
> power? Or does it tell the OS to do the shutdown, like in a real
> hurry? I never tested that "feature" so I'm not real clear on how that
> works.

When the temperature gets high enough to trigger a BIOS shutdown, you
want it to happen as fast as possible. If your other safeguards failed to
kick in, either your system is too heavily loaded to shutdown or the
temperature has risen extremely quickly. Either way, cutting the power is
the remaining option.

--
Neil Bothwick

Programming Language: (n.) a shorthand way of describing a series of bugs
to a computer or a programmer.