Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM
fei huang

Default start X at startup without a login manager

I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.

here is my solution:
I use runlevel 3 as default, and add a line of code in "/etc/conf.d/local.start":

su - myname -c startx&

this works just fine except my scim panel would not shown as before, but if I login in normally with my user name, and type "startx" manually,
everything works perfect. I'm wondering what is the difference with those two steps that cause the problem,

"ps" shows the scim processes* are just running normally, for reference, I pasted my "xinitrc" here:

export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
scim -d

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

urxvtd -q -f -o

conky -q &

exec awesome

any ideas?

thanks

fei

Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

fei huang wrote:
I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.

Install it anyway and use the "autologin" feature. I know that KDM
supports it, and probably GDM too.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Florian Philipp

fei huang schrieb:
> I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
> manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.

You know that this is a possible security thread? Anyone who has access
to your computer can simply press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and enter the console
session you used to start x-server.
Locking your X-session won't help against that.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Joshua D Doll

Florian Philipp wrote:
> fei huang schrieb:
>
>> I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
>> manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.
>>

> You know that this is a possible security thread? Anyone who has access
> to your computer can simply press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and enter the console
> session you used to start x-server.
> Locking your X-session won't help against that.

You can disable vt switching with:

Option "DontVTSwitch" "boolean" in the server section of the xorg.conf

--Joshua Doll

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
James Ausmus

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:

fei huang schrieb:

> I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows

> manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.

*You know that this is a possible security thread? Anyone who has access

to your computer can simply press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and enter the console

session you used to start x-server.

Locking your X-session won't help against that.

I don't think so - with the local.start method that he's talking about, the Virtual Console isn't logged in - X is started in the initscripts, not from a logged in console...

Fei - try checking the value of the "HOME" and other environment variable with the local.start method - I think that, since the initscripts are not running in an "interactive" login prompt, some necessary env vars are not being populated correctly. Maybe if you changed your su command to "su myuser -c "source /etc/profile && startx &"?

HTH-

-James

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Florian Philipp (lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net) [20.03.09 19:09]:
> fei huang schrieb:
> > I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
> > manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.
> >
> You know that this is a possible security thread? Anyone who has access
> to your computer can simply press Ctrl+Alt+F1 and enter the console
> session you used to start x-server.
> Locking your X-session won't help against that.

You did read, that he wants to start it via the local service, and from
the commandline?

Propably not, since then your advice is pointless.

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Nikos Chantziaras (realnc@arcor.de) [20.03.09 17:18]:
> fei huang wrote:
> > I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
> > manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.
>
> Install it anyway and use the "autologin" feature. I know that KDM
> supports it, and probably GDM too.

Well in that case, slim should be the better choice: no dependencies on
one of the two a little bloated DEs, and also has the autologin feature.

Sebastian

Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Sebastian Günther

* fei huang (daniel.huangfei@gmail.com) [20.03.09 16:12]:

> su - myname -c startx&
>
> any ideas?

RTFM:

-, -l, --login
Provide an environment similar to what the user would expect had the user
logged in directly.

!>> When - is used, it must be specified as the last su option.

The other forms (-l and --login) do not have this restriction.

> thanks
>
> fei

HTH
Sebastian

Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:09 AM, fei huang <daniel.huangfei@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have any "xdm", "gdm" stuff but would like to start my windows
> manager directly at startup, cause I'm the only one that use it.

I agree with Sebastian, you should try "slim"

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/SLiM

Old 03-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Tom

Or use qingy

It uses directfb, but its very lean, and you can set it to autologin I
think...which would probably not even use dircetfb, as qingy also has a
'text-fallback-mode'.

Try it, you'll like it ;-)

Tom