Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Grant

Default {OT} Remote Reboots

I'm currently jumping through some hoops trying to get my Gentoo
router and cable modem rebooted since they've stopped functioning and
I'm away from them. Is there any sort of a slick setup to enable me
to remotely kill/apply power to a couple of devices like these? I
can't think of anything.

- Grant

Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:11:27 -0700, Grant wrote:

> I'm currently jumping through some hoops trying to get my Gentoo
> router and cable modem rebooted since they've stopped functioning and
> I'm away from them. Is there any sort of a slick setup to enable me
> to remotely kill/apply power to a couple of devices like these? I
> can't think of anything.

You can do this with X-10. I had my Internet connection die while on
holiday a couple of times,with no way to power cycle the modem, so I
plugged in in through an X-10 module and have a cron job that switches it
off and on if several addresses are inaccessible for a while.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh, as Christopher Robin shut the washing machine door.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Grant

>> I'm currently jumping through some hoops trying to get my Gentoo
>> router and cable modem rebooted since they've stopped functioning and
>> I'm away from them. *Is there any sort of a slick setup to enable me
>> to remotely kill/apply power to a couple of devices like these? *I
>> can't think of anything.
>
> You can do this with X-10. I had my Internet connection die while on
> holiday a couple of times,with no way to power cycle the modem, so I
> plugged in in through an X-10 module and have a cron job that switches it
> off and on if several addresses are inaccessible for a while.

Very nice, thanks Neil. And by the way, this is looking like a
hardware problem now, not a Gentoo problem.

- Grant