Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Joseph

Default nomachine and Windows XP via VirtualBox

On 03/19/09 15:40, Paul Hartman wrote:

I think nxserver-freeedition is an official NX product with a "free
forever" license for a small number of users per machine (2 or 3?),
while freenx is an open-source project making an NX-compatible server
(possibly using released NX sources from some point in time, I don't
really know the whole history).

I just tried nxserver-freeedition, it works and nice speed!
I can run VirtuaBoxbox but it might not be what be a solution I'm looking for; or I am implementing it a wrong way.

I'm running Windows XP via VirtualBox and it runs OK but I need to access that Windows XP while it is running from internal network.
Windows XP is running on the same box as nxserver-freeedition and I need to access it from another machine on local lan.

I think I need to establish a connection with Linux via SAMBA to access Windows XP isn't it but I'll not be able to execute any program I think.
How about running nomachine server in Windows XP can I access it from Linux and run Windows programs?

Does anybody have a better idea?

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7

Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/19/09 15:40, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> I think nxserver-freeedition is an official NX product with a "free
>> forever" license for a small number of users per machine (2 or 3?),
>> while freenx is an open-source project making an NX-compatible server
>> (possibly using released NX sources from some point in time, I don't
>> really know the whole history).
>
> I just tried nxserver-freeedition, it works and nice speed!
> I can run VirtuaBoxbox but it might not be what be a solution I'm looking
> for; or I am implementing it a wrong way.
>
> I'm running Windows XP via VirtualBox and it runs OK but I need to access
> that Windows XP while it is running from internal network.
> Windows XP is running on the same box as nxserver-freeedition and I need to
> access it from another machine on local lan.
>
> I think I need to establish a connection with Linux via SAMBA to access
> Windows XP isn't it but I'll not be able to execute any program I think.
> How about running nomachine server in Windows XP can I access it from Linux
> and run Windows programs?
>
> Does anybody have a better idea?

NX can act as a proxy to RDP or VNC. Basically how it works, you make
the NX connection to the Linux box like you have already done, and in
nxclient change desktop from "Unix" to "Windows", then click
"Settings" and put the IP address of the Windows machine (virtual or
otherwise). Basically NX on the remote Linux machine makes RDP
connection (which will be fast since they are on the local
network/same machine in the case of virtualbox). Then it uses NX
protocol between your remote nxclient and the NX server, giving you
the speed of NX while using RDP

Same process can be used for VNC to a Mac OS X box.