Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
"Michael P. Soulier"

Default keeping an installed version

Hi,

I'm trying to understand package masking. If I want to keep a version of a
package, if I mask-out anything higher than the current version then I figured
that would accomplish the task.

Currently I have media-video/nvidia-settings-169.07

If I want to keep this, I thought I could add this to
/etc/portage/package.mask

>media-video/nvidia-settings-169.07

but if I run

emerge --update --pretend --deep world

I get

[ebuild UD] media-video/nvidia-settings-1.0.20070621 [169.07]

I don't understand why it wants to downgrade the package from 169.07. I'm
obviously missing something.

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:48:41 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> [ebuild UD] media-video/nvidia-settings-1.0.20070621 [169.07]
>
> I don't understand why it wants to downgrade the package from 169.07.
> I'm obviously missing something.

Because 169.07 is no longer in portage, you've masked out newer versions
so an older one is the only option.

If you want to lock a package to a specific version, you should copy the
ebuild to your overlay to stop this happening.

--
Neil Bothwick

Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 19 March 2009 23:48:41 Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to understand package masking. If I want to keep a version of a
> package, if I mask-out anything higher than the current version then I
> figured that would accomplish the task.
>
> Currently I have media-video/nvidia-settings-169.07
>
> If I want to keep this, I thought I could add this to
> /etc/portage/package.mask
>
> >media-video/nvidia-settings-169.07
>
> but if I run
>
> emerge --update --pretend --deep world
>
> I get
>
> [ebuild UD] media-video/nvidia-settings-1.0.20070621 [169.07]
>
> I don't understand why it wants to downgrade the package from 169.07. I'm
> obviously missing something.

You asked for an update so portage will examine the tree and update everything
that can be updated.

nvidia-settings-169.07 is NOT in the tree so portage wants to update it, and
the only version that satisfies is 1.0.20070621. It is also the only possible
version left for you to use after that mask.

I recommend you find the ebuild for your current version in /var somewhere and
mvoe it to a local overlay where it can be safe

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 AM
ABCD