Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Jarry

Default nForce4 eth driver not working...

Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:35:14 +0100, Jarry wrote:

I have a strange problem with my motherboard (nForce4 chipset):
Installation CD finds eth0 and brings it up (with whatever driver).
Now I'm trying to compile my kernel, and even if I select all gbit
ethernet cards, it does not work:

Run lspci -k (or lspci -v) from the live CD to see which module it is
using.

lspci -v (no "-k" option for this version)
00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev f3)
Subsystem: Assustek Computer Inc. K8n4-e or A8n-e Mainbord
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
Memory at d4100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at b000 [size=8]

There is nothing more in the output, concerning ethernet.
How can I see from this output, which module is it using?

Justin wrote:
> Try forcedeth.

I do not see this in kernel config. I suppose it is experimental driver,
(which I turned off). Is it safe to use it?

Jarry

Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Jason Weisberger

You should have two different ethernet ports on that motherboard, the primary one should use forcedeth, the secondary should use the new marvell yukon phy driver, make sure those are compiled into your running kernel.

--

Neil Bothwick

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Justin

Jarry wrote:
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:35:14 +0100, Jarry wrote:
>>> I have a strange problem with my motherboard (nForce4 chipset):
>>> Installation CD finds eth0 and brings it up (with whatever driver).
>>> Now I'm trying to compile my kernel, and even if I select all gbit
>>> ethernet cards, it does not work:
>>
>> Run lspci -k (or lspci -v) from the live CD to see which module it is
>> using.
>
> lspci -v (no "-k" option for this version)
> 00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev f3)
> Subsystem: Assustek Computer Inc. K8n4-e or A8n-e Mainbord
> Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
> Memory at d4100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
> There is nothing more in the output, concerning ethernet.
> How can I see from this output, which module is it using?
>

> Justin wrote:
>> Try forcedeth.
>
> I do not see this in kernel config. I suppose it is experimental driver,
> (which I turned off). Is it safe to use it?
>

> Jarry

CONFIG_FORCEDETH

and it is a standard driver.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Jarry

Justin wrote:

CONFIG_FORCEDETH
and it is a standard driver.

I searched my .config file, and there is nothing like that.
I'm using gentoo-sources 2.6.27-r8...

Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Justin

Jarry wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>
>> CONFIG_FORCEDETH
>> and it is a standard driver.
>
> I searched my .config file, and there is nothing like that.
> I'm using gentoo-sources 2.6.27-r8...

$ make menuconfig
type /
type FORCEDETH

Location:

│ -> Device Drivers

│ -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])

│ -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (NET_ETHERNET [=n])

│ -> nForce Ethernet support (FORCEDETH [=n])

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Hung Dang

Justin wrote:

Jarry wrote:

Justin wrote:

CONFIG_FORCEDETH
and it is a standard driver.

I searched my .config file, and there is nothing like that.
I'm using gentoo-sources 2.6.27-r8...

$ make menuconfig
type /
type FORCEDETH

Location:

│ -> Device Drivers

│ -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])

│ -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (NET_ETHERNET [=n])

│ -> nForce Ethernet support (FORCEDETH [=n])

To have nForce support you need to select:
[*] Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --->[*] EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers
<*> nForce Ethernet support

Hung

Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Jarry

Hung Dang wrote:

Justin wrote:

│ -> Device Drivers
│ -> Network device support (NETDEVICES [=y])
│ -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) (NET_ETHERNET [=n])
│ -> nForce Ethernet support (FORCEDETH [=n])

To have nForce support you need to select:[*] Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) --->[*] EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers
<*> nForce Ethernet support

Yep, this works, thank you! I did not search for this driver
in 10/100mbit, because manual says it is 1gbit. Does it mean
this net-adapter is working only as 100mbit in linux? Anyway
it does not matter. My internet connection is not that fast...

Just one more surprise:
During installation before chrooting I copied resolv.conf
to new system, as advised in handbook (chapter 6.a. Chrooting).
But after I first booted freshly installed system, I found out
that /etc/resolv.conf is empty, just saying something like:

# Generated by net-scripts for interface eth0
domain mydomain

Nothing else. So I edited this file, included nameservers, and
again, after booting it is empty. I went through handbook once
again, carefully checked chapter "8.b. Networking information",
but there is no info about this strange "feature".
Did I do something wrong during installation???

Jarry

Old 03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Hung Dang

Jarry wrote:

Hung Dang wrote:

Justin wrote:

[...]

Jarry: You got the empty /etc/resolve.conf because dhcpcd overwrite this
file whenever your computer start, to avoid this you only need to set up
/etc/conf.d/net (for example config_eth0=( "dhcp" ) ) as suggestion in
the Gentoo handbook.

Hung

Old 03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Jarry

Hung Dang wrote:

Jarry: You got the empty /etc/resolve.conf because dhcpcd overwrite this
file whenever your computer start, to avoid this you only need to set up
/etc/conf.d/net (for example config_eth0=( "dhcp" ) ) as suggestion in
the Gentoo handbook.

But I do not have dhcp. I have static IP, and I configured network
according to Handbook "8.b. Networking Information"
My /etc/conf.d/net look like:

# a few comment lines
config_eth0=( "192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 brd 192.168.1.255" )
routes_eth0=( "default via 192.168.1.1" )
dns_domain_eth0="mydomain.com"

Do I have to define nameservers there too? I have not seen a single word
about it in Gentoo Handbook...

Jarry

Old 03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 19 March 2009 18:29:45 Jarry wrote:

> Do I have to define nameservers there too? I have not seen a single word
> about it in Gentoo Handbook...

I too have static addresses. This is my /etc/conf.d/net:

config_eth0=( "192.168.2.6 netmask 255.255.255.248 broadcast 192.168.2.7" )
routes_eth0=( "default via 192.168.2.1" )

That's all. Hope it helps.

--
Rgds
Peter