FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

On 2009-03-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> An applemac friend sent me a file with a .sitx extension. I installed
> stuffit, but I get this error:
>
> $ unstuff Limited1.sitx
> Unsupported format exception: archive format is not supported
>
> What are my options with Gentoo before I tell him to use some
> opensource format?

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+.sitx
http://my.smithmicro.com/unix/stuffit/index.html

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! This ASEXUAL PIG
at really BOILS my BLOOD
visi.com ... He's so ... so
... URGENT!!
 
Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> An applemac friend sent me a file with a .sitx extension. I installed
> stuffit, but I get this error:
>
> $ unstuff Limited1.sitx
> Unsupported format exception: archive format is not supported
>
> What are my options with Gentoo before I tell him to use some opensource
> format?

Last time I ran into one of those files, all of the linux tools were
for an older format and useless. I ended up using some windows tool
(either in Wine or virtual winXP machine, I can't remember).
 
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Mick
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

On Tuesday 17 March 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-03-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > An applemac friend sent me a file with a .sitx extension. I installed
> > stuffit, but I get this error:
> >
> > $ unstuff Limited1.sitx
> > Unsupported format exception: archive format is not supported
> >
> > What are my options with Gentoo before I tell him to use some
> > opensource format?
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+.sitx
> http://my.smithmicro.com/unix/stuffit/index.html

Thank you, I have seen this and emerged stuffit (I had to manually download
the source file). However, trying to run it on a .sitx file fails as shown
above - hence I am asking if I am missing something here, or if there is an
alternative that will work from Gentoo.
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Grant Edwards
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

On 2009-03-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+.sitx
>> http://my.smithmicro.com/unix/stuffit/index.html
>
> Thank you, I have seen this and emerged stuffit (I had to
> manually download the source file). However, trying to run it
> on a .sitx file fails as shown above - hence I am asking if I
> am missing something here, or if there is an alternative that
> will work from Gentoo.

According to the articles googe found, the free version of the
unpacker for Linux doesn't support the .sitx format. Seems
like a big-ole "FU" from smithmicro to the Linux community if
you ask me.

If the trail version of the non-free stuffit from smithmicro
doesn't support it, then I doubt anything else will. It's a
format that the sutffit guys invented. What the world needs
most, after all, is one more proprietary archive format.

I'd tell your friend that stuffit is evil and he should use
somethign else.

--
Grant
 
Old 03-18-2009, 03:21 AM
Dale
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-03-17, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>> http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+.sitx
>>> http://my.smithmicro.com/unix/stuffit/index.html
>>>
>> Thank you, I have seen this and emerged stuffit (I had to
>> manually download the source file). However, trying to run it
>> on a .sitx file fails as shown above - hence I am asking if I
>> am missing something here, or if there is an alternative that
>> will work from Gentoo.
>>
>
> According to the articles googe found, the free version of the
> unpacker for Linux doesn't support the .sitx format. Seems
> like a big-ole "FU" from smithmicro to the Linux community if
> you ask me.
>
> If the trail version of the non-free stuffit from smithmicro
> doesn't support it, then I doubt anything else will. It's a
> format that the sutffit guys invented. What the world needs
> most, after all, is one more proprietary archive format.
>
> I'd tell your friend that stuffit is evil and he should use
> somethign else.
>
>


Depending on your friends sense of humor, maybe even tell him to "stuff
it". LOL :-D

Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Stroller
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

On 17 Mar 2009, at 19:33, Mick wrote:

...
An applemac friend sent me a file with a .sitx extension. I installed
stuffit, but I get this error:

$ unstuff Limited1.sitx
Unsupported format exception: archive format is not supported


Advise you tell your friend:

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/zip.html

In 10.5 the "Create Archive" option has been renamed "Compress",
and the menu order slightly reorganised.


There is NO REASON for using Stuffit files these days - unless he
wishes to send files to collectors of obsolete hardware he should
probably uninstall Stuffit from his system. I cannot conceive that
anyone could seriously be still using OS 9 or earlier in earnest.


Stroller.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Mick
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Dale wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

> > I'd tell your friend that stuffit is evil and he should use
> > somethign else.
>
> Depending on your friends sense of humor, maybe even tell him to "stuff
> it". LOL :-D

Thank you all, that's exactly what I am going to tell him ...
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 03-18-2009, 06:41 PM
"b.n."
 
Default stuffit does not recognise .sitx

Stroller ha scritto:
I cannot conceive that anyone could
> seriously be still using OS 9 or earlier in earnest.

I know people that do, and even for pretty serious work.
*Why* they do that, is beyond my comprehension.

m.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org