Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default gamepad is attached... and what?

Andrew Gaydenko wrote:

Hi!

Have bought a gamepad for my son - he plays supertuxkart (USB, "Black Warrior
Patriot Vibration Gamepad"), attached, added

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "joy1"
Driver "joystick"
EndSection

to xorg.conf, restarted X (Gnome), and ... what?

I guess it depends on the version of X.Org. With 1.5.x, you don't need
an xorg.conf entry. You just plug it in and it works. The kernel must
of course have joystick support.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 17:37:40 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Have bought a gamepad for my son - he plays supertuxkart (USB, "Black
> > Warrior Patriot Vibration Gamepad"), attached, added
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "joy1"
> > Driver "joystick"
> > EndSection
> >
> > to xorg.conf, restarted X (Gnome), and ... what?
>
> I guess it depends on the version of X.Org. With 1.5.x, you don't need
> an xorg.conf entry. You just plug it in and it works. The kernel must
> of course have joystick support.

Aha... Thanks - have looked at the kernel config - have not selected any
device in the "Joysticks/Gamepads" (tte list is below). Must I select all the
modules with a hope X will be smart enough to load a needed module? Or - which
one is appropriate at my case?

xorg-server 1.5.3-r5 is in use.

------------------

Assassin 3D and MadCatz Panther devices
Logitech ADI digital joysticks and gamepads
Creative Labs Blaster Cobra gamepad
Genius Flight2000 Digital joysticks and gamepads
Gravis GrIP joysticks and gamepads
Gravis GrIP MultiPort
Guillemot joysticks and gamepads
InterAct digital joysticks and gamepads
Microsoft SideWinder digital joysticks and
ThrustMaster DirectConnect joysticks and gamepads
I-Force devices
Logitech WingMan Warrior joystick
LogiCad3d Magellan/SpaceMouse 6dof controllers
SpaceTec SpaceOrb/Avenger 6dof controllers
SpaceTec SpaceBall 6dof controllers
Gravis Stinger gamepad
Twiddler as a joystick
5-byte Zhenhua RC transmitter
Gameport data dumper
X-Box gamepad support

Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Andrew Gaydenko wrote:

Have bought a gamepad for my son - he plays supertuxkart (USB, "Black
Warrior Patriot Vibration Gamepad"), attached, added

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "joy1"
Driver "joystick"
EndSection

to xorg.conf, restarted X (Gnome), and ... what?

I guess it depends on the version of X.Org. With 1.5.x, you don't need
an xorg.conf entry. You just plug it in and it works. The kernel must
of course have joystick support.

Aha... Thanks - have looked at the kernel config - have not selected any
device in the "Joysticks/Gamepads" (tte list is below). Must I select all the
modules with a hope X will be smart enough to load a needed module? Or - which
one is appropriate at my case?

xorg-server 1.5.3-r5 is in use.

[snipped list]

No, those are for old non-USB joysticks. You need to make sure that
these are enabled:

Input device support --> <*> Joystick interface
Input device support --> <*> Event interface
HID Devices --> <*> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support

Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Andrew Gaydenko <a@gaydenko.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 17:37:40 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > Have bought a gamepad for my son - he plays supertuxkart (USB, "Black
>> > Warrior Patriot Vibration Gamepad"), attached, added
>> >
>> > Section "InputDevice"
>> > Identifier "joy1"
>> > Driver "joystick"
>> > EndSection
>> >
>> > to xorg.conf, restarted X (Gnome), and ... what?
>>
>> I guess it depends on the version of X.Org. With 1.5.x, you don't need
>> an xorg.conf entry. You just plug it in and it works. The kernel must
>> of course have joystick support.
>
> Aha... Thanks - have looked at the kernel config - have not selected any
> device in the "Joysticks/Gamepads" (tte list is below). Must I select all the
> modules with a hope X will be smart enough to load a needed module? Or - which
> one is appropriate at my case?
>
> xorg-server 1.5.3-r5 is in use.
>
> ------------------
>
> Assassin 3D and MadCatz Panther devices
> Logitech ADI digital joysticks and gamepads
> Creative Labs Blaster Cobra gamepad
> Genius Flight2000 Digital joysticks and gamepads
> Gravis GrIP joysticks and gamepads
> Gravis GrIP MultiPort
> Guillemot joysticks and gamepads
> InterAct digital joysticks and gamepads
> Microsoft SideWinder digital joysticks and
> ThrustMaster DirectConnect joysticks and gamepads
> I-Force devices
> Logitech WingMan Warrior joystick
> LogiCad3d Magellan/SpaceMouse 6dof controllers
> SpaceTec SpaceOrb/Avenger 6dof controllers
> SpaceTec SpaceBall 6dof controllers
> Gravis Stinger gamepad
> Twiddler as a joystick
> 5-byte Zhenhua RC transmitter
> Gameport data dumper
> X-Box gamepad support

I just have INPUT_DEVICES="joystick mouse keyboard" in my
/etc/make.conf and my USB joystick works fine... even in WINE. Never
had to do anything with a list such as that.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]
No, those are for old non-USB joysticks. You need to make sure that
these are enabled:

Input device support --> <*> Joystick interface
Input device support --> <*> Event interface
HID Devices --> <*> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support

PS:

You also need HAL and probably D-Bus installed and running.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Momesso Andrea

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:28:37 +0200
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > [...]
> > No, those are for old non-USB joysticks. You need to make sure
> > that these are enabled:
> >
> > Input device support --> <*> Joystick interface
> > Input device support --> <*> Event interface
> > HID Devices --> <*> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
>
> PS:
>
> You also need HAL and probably D-Bus installed and running.

And xorg-server build with the hal USE flag.

=======
TopperH
=======

Old 03-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

Thanks to all - summing all suggestions, it works!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Sascha Hlusiak

Am Dienstag 17 März 2009 15:51:15 schrieb Andrew Gaydenko:
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 17:37:40 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Have bought a gamepad for my son - he plays supertuxkart (USB, "Black
> > > Warrior Patriot Vibration Gamepad"), attached, added
> > >
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > Identifier "joy1"
> > > Driver "joystick"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > to xorg.conf, restarted X (Gnome), and ... what?
> >
> > I guess it depends on the version of X.Org. With 1.5.x, you don't need
> > an xorg.conf entry. You just plug it in and it works. The kernel must
> > of course have joystick support.
Little clarification. The xf86-input-joystick module is to use the joystick as
an X input device to control the mouse cursor. It is not needed to play games
or to use it in programs that directly use the joystick, like mplayer.

You can use xf86-input-joystick to control the cursor or to use a joystick in
games that do NOT know how to handle joysticks themselves.

Neither you need joystick in INPUT_DEVICES, nor you need an entry in xorg.conf
nor have xorg-server compiled with hal to use a joystick in games the usual
way. Appropriate kernel modules and udev will do.

- Sascha

Old 03-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak@arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag 17 März 2009 15:51:15 schrieb Andrew Gaydenko:

>> > I guess it depends on the version of X.Org. With 1.5.x, you don't need
>> > an xorg.conf entry. You just plug it in and it works. The kernel must
>> > of course have joystick support.
> Little clarification. The xf86-input-joystick module is to use the joystick as
> an X input device to control the mouse cursor. It is not needed to play games
> or to use it in programs that directly use the joystick, like mplayer.
>
> You can use xf86-input-joystick to control the cursor or to use a joystick in
> games that do NOT know how to handle joysticks themselves.
>
> Neither you need joystick in INPUT_DEVICES, nor you need an entry in xorg.conf
> nor have xorg-server compiled with hal to use a joystick in games the usual
> way. Appropriate kernel modules and udev will do.

Good information, thank you.