Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Dale

Default udev-140

Justin wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>
>> yes, but that does not help you in case of an accidental power failure before
>> you had a chance to update the config files.
>>

> power failure is always something extra ordinary!

It's not here. Our power goes out sometimes just because the wind is
blowing. I think it is about time for them to start trimming trees
again. Trees and power lines don't go together to well.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:34:44 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> And the screen is almost unreadable (it wasn't three years ago...)

Pixels shrivel with age ;-)

--
Neil Bothwick

Fasten your seatbelt ... I wanna try something.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 22:20:37 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> > I wouldn't really have minded the inconvenience, except that while all
>> > this was going on, the largest data centre in the Southern Hemisphere was
>> > dropping off the air one router at a time, my desktop machine was
>> > panicing after 4 minutes of use (so that's why I stopped using it 6
>> > months ago!) and I had to use putty on the GF's Thinkpad to do my bit to
>> > rescue all this. Putty sucks, really badly. The only thing that sucks
>> > worse than Putty on Windows is Putty on Symbian, even on a Nokia
>> > Communicator with a semi-decent keyboard (for a phone) :-)
>>
>> What sucks about PuTTY on Windows? I use it all the time and it seems
>> to do everything... Granted, I just use it for simple serial port
>> devices and SSH stuff, no exotic terminal emulations.
>
> Putty itself isn't too bad if you look at it as a Windows app. It can never be
> anything other than a Windows app and as such is restricted to how Windows
> apps must behave. And therein is the problem - I'm way too used to openssh, I
> want a command line to fire up my ssh client, I want to 'ssh me@there' in a
> console and it must work. I don't want to have to poke around in a vast tree
> structure to enter my options - I know what they are, I just want to type
> them. Without a mouse.
>
> So Putty doesn't really suck in isolation. It does work and can really operate
> any different way. *Using* Putty on it's host platform sucks to someone who is
> used to much more efficient way to accomplish the same task.

Have you tried simply using openssh on Windows? Or is cmd.exe really
the problem? I prefer Putty because I can more easily copy and paste,
resize the window, scrollback, etc. versus the cmd.exe shell (which is
basically useless). I'm sure there are alternative windows command
shells (or you can use rxvt or something with cygwin)

>> PuTTY on Symbian only does SSH but it seems to do it well enough.
>> Running it full-screen with the smallest font is actually not so bad,
>> even on my 240x320 screen. Being able to connect to my computer
>> wherever I have a cellular signal is convenient... typing with T9 on a
>> numeric phone keypad, not so much... but that's the phone's fault, not
>> PuTTY's. :P I've been meaning to set up a simple menu script that
>> allows me to run all of my common tasks with phone-friendly
>> keystrokes. emerge -uDvptN blah blah blah really sucks to tap out on
>> the 0-9 keys Thank god for bash command history...
>
> On Symbian it's a life saver when all other methods fail. Again, Putty is OK,
> using the device is actually what sucks. I still can't find a pipe character!
> And the screen is almost unreadable (it wasn't three years ago...)

Well the good thing about not having QWERTY is that all of the special
characters are simple to access (on a pop-up menu)

Paul

Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 00:52:16 Paul Hartman wrote:
> > So Putty doesn't really suck in isolation. It does work and can really
> > operate any different way. Using Putty on it's host platform sucks to
> > someone who is used to much more efficient way to accomplish the same
> > task.
>
> Have you tried simply using openssh on Windows? Or is cmd.exe really
> the problem? I prefer Putty because I can more easily copy and paste,
> resize the window, scrollback, etc. versus the cmd.exe shell (which is
> basically useless). I'm sure there are alternative windows command
> shells (or you can use rxvt or something with cygwin)

This was the first time I had actually done something useful on Windows (apart
from a quick browser surf here and there) for about a year. It's my
girlfriend's machine and has putty so I used it.

I'm in the lucky position of not needing Windows for anything whatsoever, so
the annoyance of navigating putty once a year is far better than trying to
install something else more to my liking (which I would never use of course)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 16 March 2009 22:53:24 Grant Edwards wrote:

> > It can never be anything other than a Windows app
>
> That's odd -- the Linux version works fine for me.

Read it as "it cannot be coded to behave it any other way than Windows apps
behave" rather than "it can only ever run on Windows"

English - the world's most redundant and ambiguous language. Ever.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2009-03-17, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 16 March 2009 22:53:24 Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>> It can never be anything other than a Windows app
>>
>> That's odd -- the Linux version works fine for me.
>
> Read it as "it cannot be coded to behave it any other way than
> Windows apps behave" rather than "it can only ever run on
> Windows"

I was actually rather surprised how much the GTK version feels
like the MS-Windows version. I've only ever used it as a test
case when working on ssh server code -- for "real" uses, I
strictly use openssh (either on Linux or Cygwin). I think
there's a native Win32 port of openssh, but I've never tried it.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I wonder if I should
at put myself in ESCROW!!