Old 03-12-2009, 06:45 AM
Grant

Default Anyone running a Netbook satisfactorily on Gentoo?

I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
not excruciatingly slow?

- Grant

Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Saphirus Sage

Grant wrote:
> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
> netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
> not excruciatingly slow?
>
> - Grant

Netbooks are designed to be underpowered, and as such, compiling on them
is bit nuts. However, you could compile on a faster machine and export
this binary to the netbook, I've done something similar when updating an
old first generation iMac.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:45:16 -0700, Grant wrote:

> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
> netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
> not excruciatingly slow?

I'm writing this on an Eee PC900 running Gentoo and it's fine apart
from occasional annoying pauses when Konqueror goes to sleep for a couple
of seconds while loading pages. That could be down it writing its caches
to an encrypted home partition.

If anything, it's faster than I expected from the spec.

--
Neil Bothwick

A Smith & Weason beats Four Aces everytime.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Daniel da Veiga

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:45, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
> netbook and it's just so slow. *The only things I can think of to
> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. *Anyone running a netbook
> not excruciatingly slow?

I have an EEE 701 that run Gentoo, with XFCE4 and Compiz Fusion, and I
think its really fast considering its size. No slowdowns at all, of
course it has 2GB of RAM, while the default is 512MB.

--
Daniel da Veiga

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Dan Cowsill

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
> netbook and it's just so slow. *The only things I can think of to
> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. *Anyone running a netbook
> not excruciatingly slow?
>
> - Grant

Yeah, Gentoo can be a big O/S if you let it. I recently installed
Gentoo on an eee 701 with 512M RAM and the 8 GB SSD. I decided to use
the minimal USE flag with a few exceptions. This keeps the size of
X11 down and affects a few other packages in that vein. Also, I used
XFCE in place of Gnome. You can still have Gnome apps on it (if you
are willing to commit the extra disk space) and the memory foot print
is much smaller. I used ccache to help out with compile times, so
even on the 500MHz processor, it still took less than a day to slap
X11 together.

Have a specific idea in mind for what you want the computer to be used
for. My eee does three or four things really well and that's it.
Some may say it's archaic, but I thought it was a great learning
experience. That said, installing Gentoo on an eee 701 was such an
incredible pain in the ass... Not for the faint of heart.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Florian Philipp

Grant schrieb:
> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
> netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
> not excruciatingly slow?
>
> - Grant

I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
the one with the 8GB SSD.

I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.

The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).

The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
don't want to wear down the SSD.

Other tips:
Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
performance and wear down the SSD.

I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
when it decides to flush its write cache.

No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.

Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
need for a scheduler on an SSD.

ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Grant

>> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
>> netbook and it's just so slow. *The only things I can think of to
>> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
>> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. *Anyone running a netbook
>> not excruciatingly slow?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
> the one with the 8GB SSD.
>
> I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
> Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
> The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
> card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.
>
> The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
> when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
> Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).
>
> The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
> most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
> before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
> usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
> larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
> don't want to wear down the SSD.
>
> Other tips:
> Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
> performance and wear down the SSD.
>
> I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
> when it decides to flush its write cache.
>
> No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.
>
> Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
> need for a scheduler on an SSD.
>
> ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
> xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, these are the kinds of tips I need. I really want this
thing to work out so I can switch over to one. Lemme see if I've got
this:

1. run xfce4 (already do)
2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
6. use elevator=noop at boot
7. deactivate DRI
8. upgrade RAM to the max

Sound about right?

- Grant

Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Justin

Grant schrieb:
>>> I've installed and updated Gentoo on my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One
>>> netbook and it's just so slow. The only things I can think of to
>>> speed it up would be to upgrade the RAM from 1GB (not sure if that's
>>> possible) and/or swap out the SSD for a HD. Anyone running a netbook
>>> not excruciatingly slow?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>
>> I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
>> the one with the 8GB SSD.
>>
>> I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
>> Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
>> The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
>> card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.
>>
>> The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
>> when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
>> Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).
>>
>> The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
>> most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
>> before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
>> usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
>> larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
>> don't want to wear down the SSD.
>>
>> Other tips:
>> Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
>> performance and wear down the SSD.
>>
>> I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
>> when it decides to flush its write cache.
>>
>> No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.
>>
>> Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
>> need for a scheduler on an SSD.
>>
>> ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
>> xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>
> Thanks guys, these are the kinds of tips I need. I really want this
> thing to work out so I can switch over to one. Lemme see if I've got
> this:
>
> 1. run xfce4 (already do)
> 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
> 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
> 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
> 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
> 6. use elevator=noop at boot
> 7. deactivate DRI
> 8. upgrade RAM to the max

9. use distcc

Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Justin <justin@j-schmitz.net> wrote:

>>> I've got an Acer One for my father. I don't know the exact type; it is
>>> the one with the 8GB SSD.
>>>
>>> I found it quiet usable, installed Gentoo with a minimal KDE3 on it.
>>> Compiled with -Os, of course. RAM usage is below 256MB most of the time.
>>> The only things I didn't get to work are 3D acceleration and the SSD
>>> card slots but I haven't invested much time into it.
>>>
>>> The slowest part of the system is the SSD. It really slows things done
>>> when they are loaded for the first time (for example the HTML part of
>>> Konqueror takes 3s to load AFTER Konqueror itself came up).
>>>
>>> The rest of the system is pretty fast for my expectations.I compiled
>>> most things in a chroot on my Celeron notebook (2 or 3 times the speed)
>>> before moving it over but I really found compiling not _that_ slow. Its
>>> usable for most regular updates and even kernels and such alike. For
>>> larger packages, I mount an NFS share on /var/tmp/portage because I
>>> don't want to wear down the SSD.
>>>
>>> Other tips:
>>> Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
>>> performance and wear down the SSD.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't use laptop-mode. You don't want it to bog down the system
>>> when it decides to flush its write cache.
>>>
>>> No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.
>>>
>>> Use the noop IO scheduler (boot parameter elevator=noop). There is no
>>> need for a scheduler on an SSD.
>>>
>>> ArchLinux also recommends deactivating DRI ('Option "DRI" "0"' in
>>> xorg.conf) to free up 32MB of memory.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Thanks guys, these are the kinds of tips I need. I really want this
>> thing to work out so I can switch over to one. Lemme see if I've got
>> this:
>>
>> 1. run xfce4 (already do)
>> 2. compile with -Os (I was using -O2)
>> 3. use ext2 (I was using ext3)
>> 4. don't use laptop-mode (I didn't know it existed)
>> 5. no syslog (does this mean don't even emerge a system logger like metalog?)
>> 6. use elevator=noop at boot
>> 7. deactivate DRI
>> 8. upgrade RAM to the max
>
> 9. use distcc

Won't that require another machine using the same CPU arch? Or can
cross-compiler be setup on the remote distcc box? (I don't even know
if GCC has an atom-specific CPU or if it is using something more
generic)

Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:30:13 +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:

> Use ext2 FS. You don't want the journalling to cost you even more
> performance and wear down the SSD.

> No syslog, it will only wear down the disk with many small write cycles.

SSDs have more sophisticated wear-levelling than flash memory cards or
sticks so this isn't such an issue. Having said that, I do have
$PORTAGE_TMPDIR on an SDcard.

--
Neil Bothwick

After two weeks of dieting, all I lost was two weeks.