Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Michael Higgins

Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while, yet allow package-rN updates...

I spent most of the last couple of days killing two bugs that were a serious drag on my laptop, involving kacpid hogging the CPU on a resume, or bay swap, and gnome panel freezing on > 7 open windows (a real deal killer). I'd like to spend a few months just using it now that it all works...

So with the latest kernel in the tree unmasked (kacpid bug fix) and a couple of patches and ebuilds in my overlay for a pair of unmasked x11 and gnome packages, what is the method to keep this 'world' in a 'set' and 'forgotten' state? '-)

Cheers,

--
| /| | | ~ ~
| / | |---| `|` ?
| |ichael | |iggins ^ /
michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org

Old 03-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 22:40:54 Michael Higgins wrote:
> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while,
> yet allow package-rN updates...

This doesn't seem to be a built-in feature of portage after a quick scan of
the man pages. But I can think of a method to do it the long way round:

The atom syntax you want is <package>~ which means any -rN version (including
-r0) of the base version.

You could grab a complete list of your system and world (emerge -et), mangle
it into shape with grep, sed and awk and redirect the whole lot to a
package.mask file in a format something like this:

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Dale

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 March 2009 22:40:54 Michael Higgins wrote:
>
>> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while,
>> yet allow package-rN updates...
>>

> This doesn't seem to be a built-in feature of portage after a quick scan of
> the man pages. But I can think of a method to do it the long way round:
>
> The atom syntax you want is <package>~ which means any -rN version (including
> -r0) of the base version.
>
> You could grab a complete list of your system and world (emerge -et), mangle
> it into shape with grep, sed and awk and redirect the whole lot to a
> package.mask file in a format something like this:
>

>> app-1.1.0~
>>

>> I spent most of the last couple of days killing two bugs that were a
>> serious drag on my laptop, involving kacpid hogging the CPU on a resume, or
>> bay swap, and gnome panel freezing on > 7 open windows (a real deal
>> killer). I'd like to spend a few months just using it now that it all
>> works...
>>
>> So with the latest kernel in the tree unmasked (kacpid bug fix) and a
>> couple of patches and ebuilds in my overlay for a pair of unmasked x11 and
>> gnome packages, what is the method to keep this 'world' in a 'set' and
>> 'forgotten' state? '-)
>>
>> Cheers,

Could he just not sync and call it a day? I suspect this is going to
bite him one day tho. We know Gentoo likes to be updated fairly
regular. I been around Gentoo for years and I don't think I would want
to do this. I'm not sure how much experience the OP has tho.

I do understand that getting something stable and working then wanting
to keep it that way. I'm just wondering what his mileage may be in the
long run.

Dale

:-) :-)

Thu Mar 12 10:30:01 2009