FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Michael Higgins
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:51:05 +0000
Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:13:30 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > > Could he just not sync and call it a day? I suspect this is
> > > going to bite him one day tho. We know Gentoo likes to be
> > > updated fairly regular. I been around Gentoo for years and I
> > > don't think I would want to do this. I'm not sure how much
> > > experience the OP has tho.

No worries. If I break it, I get to keep the pieces...

> > Michael's been around a while, his name is familiar. He did say he
> > wants -rN updates so I take that to mean he wants bug fixes and
> > security updates but everything else to stay that same and
> > especially no potential ABI/API changes
>
> One potential problem is ebuilds disappearing from the portage tree as
> packages are updated, so it would be worth copying everything he uses
> (or the whole tree) into an overlay.
>

Thanks to you both for all the suggestions and caveats... I'll report back when I've done the script to populate package.mask with atoms *pre-*pended by '~'.

As one of you mentioned, it's not an unreasonable thing to want to "freeze" a system, but OTOH Gentoo does like regular updating.

If something drops from the tree, that's okay... My goal is, for packages I've unmasked for the architecture, that they don't keep being updated to the latest available, but eventually come into concordance with 'stable'.

Cheers,

--
| /| | | ~ ~
| / | |---| `|` ?
| |ichael | |iggins ^ /
michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org
 
Old 03-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Dale
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

Michael Higgins wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:51:05 +0000
> Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:13:30 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>
>>
>>>> Could he just not sync and call it a day? I suspect this is
>>>> going to bite him one day tho. We know Gentoo likes to be
>>>> updated fairly regular. I been around Gentoo for years and I
>>>> don't think I would want to do this. I'm not sure how much
>>>> experience the OP has tho.
>>>>
>
> No worries. If I break it, I get to keep the pieces...
>
>
>>> Michael's been around a while, his name is familiar. He did say he
>>> wants -rN updates so I take that to mean he wants bug fixes and
>>> security updates but everything else to stay that same and
>>> especially no potential ABI/API changes
>>>
>> One potential problem is ebuilds disappearing from the portage tree as
>> packages are updated, so it would be worth copying everything he uses
>> (or the whole tree) into an overlay.
>>
>>
>
> Thanks to you both for all the suggestions and caveats... I'll report back when I've done the script to populate package.mask with atoms *pre-*pended by '~'.
>
> As one of you mentioned, it's not an unreasonable thing to want to "freeze" a system, but OTOH Gentoo does like regular updating.
>
> If something drops from the tree, that's okay... My goal is, for packages I've unmasked for the architecture, that they don't keep being updated to the latest available, but eventually come into concordance with 'stable'.
>
> Cheers,
>
>

Something like this was actually discussed a while back for people with
servers that have to be seriously stable. I don't think anything ever
came out of it but you may want to check around and see if it did and we
missed it. I would think Alan would know if it did tho since I think he
maintains a few servers. Few may be understating it a bit. ;-)

I think this could be a good idea for some myself.

Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Sean
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 13:40 -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while, yet allow package-rN updates...

I don't think there's a real good way to accomplish this, but the
approach I would take is to setup a local portage tree that the system
syncs from. You could then cherry pick the ebuild updates that go into
that local, and now customized, portage tree.

-Sean
 
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Beau Henderson
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Sean <sean@ttys0.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 13:40 -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
>> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while, yet allow package-rN updates...
>
> I don't think there's a real good way to accomplish this, but the
> approach I would take is to setup a local portage tree that the system
> syncs from. You could then cherry pick the ebuild updates that go into
> that local, and now customized, portage tree.
>
> -Sean
>
>

I'm not sure if this is any use to you, but what I tend to do with my
workstation and laptop which I use daily for work is, I have the
following bash aliases in place ( because I'm lazy ). I tend not to
run a a full deep update via emerge during the work week but do look
out for reported security vulnerabilities via the glsa-check
application. I can then update only the affected package or packages
as needed and the system remains otherwise in-tact and stable.

alias secchk='glsa-check -p affected'
alias secup='glsa-check -f affected'



--
Beau Dylan Henderson

"No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate
themselves or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right
to do so, for whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding
of ignorance to ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat.
For nothing in this world is more dangerous than an open mind." --
Matthew Good
 
Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:55:32 -0400, Sean wrote:

> I don't think there's a real good way to accomplish this, but the
> approach I would take is to setup a local portage tree that the system
> syncs from. You could then cherry pick the ebuild updates that go into
> that local, and now customized, portage tree.

There was some discussion on the dev list a while ago abut providing
alternate portage trees that were not updated except for security and bug
fixes. It would have provided just what you want, but I don't think
anything came of it.


--
Neil Bothwick

Windows isn't a virus -- viruses do something!
 
Old 03-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Sebastian Günther
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

* Neil Bothwick (neil@digimed.co.uk) [12.03.09 10:49]:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:56:47 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > The atom syntax you want is <package>~ which means any -rN version
> > (including -r0) of the base version.
>
> I've only even seen the ~ used at the start of an atom, I didn't know it
> could be used at the end too.
>
> > You could grab a complete list of your system and world (emerge -et),
> > mangle it into shape with grep, sed and awk and redirect the whole lot
> > to a package.mask file in a format something like this:
> >
> > >app-1.1.0~
>
> emerge portage-utils
> qatom $(qlist -ICv) | awk '{print ">"$1"/"$2"-"$3"~"}'
>

I was playing with this, since I'm thinking about gradually reverting my
system to stable.

What i was wondering: Is there a reason why you split the qlist output
into atoms, just to put it together the same way qlist has spitted it
out?

qlist -ICv | awk '{print ">~"$1}'
should do the job or am I mistaken?

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de
 
Old 03-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:46:57 +0100, Sebastian Günther wrote:

> > qatom $(qlist -ICv) | awk '{print ">"$1"/"$2"-"$3"~"}'

> What i was wondering: Is there a reason why you split the qlist output
> into atoms, just to put it together the same way qlist has spitted it
> out?
>
> qlist -ICv | awk '{print ">~"$1}'
> should do the job or am I mistaken?

Yes

The awk line only takes the first three items from the qlist
output, category, name and version. You don't want revision numbers in
the list if you are using ~.

~foo/bar-1.2.3-r4 is meaningless. It may work, but if it does
this is undocumented, and probably unintended, behaviour and may change
at any time.


--
Neil Bothwick

The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten per cent of its
capacity ... the rest is overhead for the operating system.
 
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Momesso Andrea
 
Default How to "freeze" my Gentoo system

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:40:54 -0700
Michael Higgins <linux@evolone.org> wrote:

> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a
> while, yet allow package-rN updates...
>
> I spent most of the last couple of days killing two bugs that were a
> serious drag on my laptop, involving kacpid hogging the CPU on a
> resume, or bay swap, and gnome panel freezing on > 7 open windows (a
> real deal killer). I'd like to spend a few months just using it now
> that it all works...
>
> So with the latest kernel in the tree unmasked (kacpid bug fix) and a
> couple of patches and ebuilds in my overlay for a pair of unmasked
> x11 and gnome packages, what is the method to keep this 'world' in a
> 'set' and 'forgotten' state? '-)
>
> Cheers,
>

I wouldn't use a script for managing something as delicate ad updates.

Just have a look at your weekly "emerge --sync && emerge -uDNpv world"
and manually mask whatever you don't feel to upgrade (put in
package.mask the exact version so new upgrades/bugfixes will show up
again in future syncs).

My 2 cents.

---
TopperH
http://topperh.blogspot.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org