Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 AM
James

Default seamonkey helper apps

Hello,

I use to listen to my voice mail, via mplayer and seamonkey.
I setup mplayer to play voice-message.wav and it (use to)
worked beautifully.

Now I cannot get it to work. Any suggestion as to a simple app.
I can set up as a helper application in seamonkey to play .wav
files?

The file command tells me this about the voice-message.wav file
sent to me from vonage:

file voice-message.wav
voice-message.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
ITU G.711 mu-law, mono 8000 Hz

ideas?

James

Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 10 February 2009, James wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use to listen to my voice mail, via mplayer and seamonkey.

I would have thought that mplayer is a bit of an overkill for playing .wav,
have you tried /usr/bin/aplay?

Mick

Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:31 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use to listen to my voice mail, via mplayer and seamonkey.
> I setup mplayer to play voice-message.wav and it (use to)
> worked beautifully.
>
> Now I cannot get it to work. Any suggestion as to a simple app.
> I can set up as a helper application in seamonkey to play .wav
> files?
>
> The file command tells me this about the voice-message.wav file
> sent to me from vonage:
>
> file voice-message.wav
> voice-message.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
> ITU G.711 mu-law, mono 8000 Hz
>
> ideas?
>

> James

I also have Vonage and use Seamonkey and everything is working okay
for me. I'm using the gecko-mediaplayer plugin, but opening with
gmplayer or something works too.

Paul

Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
James

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I also have Vonage and use Seamonkey and everything is working okay
> for me. I'm using the gecko-mediaplayer plugin, but opening with
> gmplayer or something works too.

Well here's my 'helper applications' entry
Maybe a syntax error?

Helper Applications "voice-message/wav"

MIMI Type "voice-message/wav"
Extension "wav"
Open it with "/usr/bin/mplayer"

<no quotes>

The baffling things is I can use this string
in my seamonkey browser to play the saved audio clip;
it plays just fine, using mplayer or amarok:

file:///home/<path>/voice-message.wav

I can use aplay <path/filename> and some wav
files play
( aplay close.wav
Playing WAVE 'close.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono)

and some don't, like my voice mails:
(aplay voice-message.wav
aplay: test_wavefile:782: can't play WAVE-file
format 0x0007 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded)
Not sure if this matters...?

So it's got to be a seamonkey mis-config?
Here's my Seamonkey flags:
(crypt gnome ipv6 java ldap mozdevelop postgres)

KDE is the destop.

James

Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I also have Vonage and use Seamonkey and everything is working okay
>> for me. I'm using the gecko-mediaplayer plugin, but opening with
>> gmplayer or something works too.
>
> Well here's my 'helper applications' entry
> Maybe a syntax error?
>
> Helper Applications "voice-message/wav"
>
> MIMI Type "voice-message/wav"
> Extension "wav"
> Open it with "/usr/bin/mplayer"
>
> <no quotes>
>

> The baffling things is I can use this string
> in my seamonkey browser to play the saved audio clip;
> it plays just fine, using mplayer or amarok:
>

> file:///home/<path>/voice-message.wav
>

> I can use aplay <path/filename> and some wav
> files play
> ( aplay close.wav
> Playing WAVE 'close.wav' : Signed 16 bit
> Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono)
>
> and some don't, like my voice mails:
> (aplay voice-message.wav
> aplay: test_wavefile:782: can't play WAVE-file
> format 0x0007 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded)
> Not sure if this matters...?
>
> So it's got to be a seamonkey mis-config?
> Here's my Seamonkey flags:
> (crypt gnome ipv6 java ldap mozdevelop postgres)
>

> KDE is the destop.

I don't have it set up as a helper. It just pops up the "What would
you like to do?" dialog and I choose to open it with /usr/bin/gmplayer

Paul

Old 02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 03:31:41AM +0000, Penguin Lover James squawked:
> file voice-message.wav
> voice-message.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio,
> ITU G.711 mu-law, mono 8000 Hz

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 05:34:06PM +0000, Penguin Lover James squawked:
> and some don't, like my voice mails:
> (aplay voice-message.wav
> aplay: test_wavefile:782: can't play WAVE-file
> format 0x0007 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded)
> Not sure if this matters...?

Have you tried aplay with manually specified format options?

aplay -f MU_LAW -c1 -r8000 -t wav voice-message.wav

Is it possible that the wav files are corrupted? (Do you have just one
sample or multiple?)

Where do you get Mercury?

H.G. Wells
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 795 days, 17:25

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
James

Willie Wong <wwong <at> Princeton.EDU> writes:

> Have you tried aplay with manually specified format options?
>
> aplay -f MU_LAW -c1 -r8000 -t wav voice-message.wav

Well that's weird. Only one out of 30 is in that format. It does
not play (corrupt) but the other 29 play, just fine with
mplayer, aplay, amarok or just using the default seamonkey
app (aplay) using this url:

file:///home/james/projects/voice-message.wav

> Is it possible that the wav files are corrupted? (Do you have just one
> sample or multiple?)

No, only one is corrupt. I can play them all sorts of ways. Seamonkey
is messed up. When I change the helper app. config. it still launches
the old helper application. Exiting Seamonkey and restarting it does
not effect changes. I have to exit out of KDE for 'helper app' changes
to take effect?

I recompile seamonkey with --deep but that has not fixed the problem...

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM
James

Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I use to listen to my voice mail, via mplayer and seamonkey.
>
> I would have thought that mplayer is a bit of an overkill for playing .wav,
> have you tried /usr/bin/aplay?

True but it always worked. Aplay works on command line, but
not from Seamonkey....

James

Old 02-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> I also have Vonage and use Seamonkey and everything is working okay
>>> for me. I'm using the gecko-mediaplayer plugin, but opening with
>>> gmplayer or something works too.
>>
>> Well here's my 'helper applications' entry
>> Maybe a syntax error?
>>
>> Helper Applications "voice-message/wav"
>>
>> MIMI Type "voice-message/wav"
>> Extension "wav"
>> Open it with "/usr/bin/mplayer"
>>
>> <no quotes>
>>

>> The baffling things is I can use this string
>> in my seamonkey browser to play the saved audio clip;
>> it plays just fine, using mplayer or amarok:
>>

>> file:///home/<path>/voice-message.wav
>>

>> I can use aplay <path/filename> and some wav
>> files play
>> ( aplay close.wav
>> Playing WAVE 'close.wav' : Signed 16 bit
>> Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono)
>>
>> and some don't, like my voice mails:
>> (aplay voice-message.wav
>> aplay: test_wavefile:782: can't play WAVE-file
>> format 0x0007 which is not PCM or FLOAT encoded)
>> Not sure if this matters...?
>>
>> So it's got to be a seamonkey mis-config?
>> Here's my Seamonkey flags:
>> (crypt gnome ipv6 java ldap mozdevelop postgres)
>>

>> KDE is the destop.
>
> I don't have it set up as a helper. It just pops up the "What would
> you like to do?" dialog and I choose to open it with /usr/bin/gmplayer
>
> Paul

I was wrong, it is set up.

MIME type: audio/x-wav
Extension: wav

Open it using /usr/bin/gmplayer

[checked] Always ask me before handling files of this type

And the same setup for MIME type of audio/wav

Regards,
Paul

Old 02-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 10 February 2009, James wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > I use to listen to my voice mail, via mplayer and seamonkey.
> >
> > I would have thought that mplayer is a bit of an overkill for playing
> > .wav, have you tried /usr/bin/aplay?
>
> True but it always worked. Aplay works on command line, but
> not from Seamonkey....

Right, this probably suggests that something changed in Seamonkey and this is
why the error arose. I assume that you are running Seamonkey with the same
privileges as before mplayer stopped working?
Mick