Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default The Linux Ecosystem (with funny references to Gentoo vs Canonical)

http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1069

I found it quite interesting that even Gentoo beat Canonical in the
amount of patches contributed upstream...

Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Saphirus Sage

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1069
>
> I found it quite interesting that even Gentoo beat Canonical in the
> amount of patches contributed upstream...

Good find, I actually didn't know about E-Trade using Gentoo servers. I
don't think it should be too surprising that Gentoo would contribute
more patches than Conical, as until today, I'd only actually heard of
one of them.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Joshua D Doll

Saphirus Sage wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1069

I found it quite interesting that even Gentoo beat Canonical in the
amount of patches contributed upstream...

Good find, I actually didn't know about E-Trade using Gentoo servers. I
don't think it should be too surprising that Gentoo would contribute
more patches than Conical, as until today, I'd only actually heard of
one of them.

This video brought up an interesting question by my friend (an ubuntu
user). How would one go about getting Canonical or the ubuntu community
to change their practice of not contributing fixes back upstream?
Without having to change distributions.

--Joshua Doll

Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Mick

On Tuesday 10 February 2009, Joshua D Doll wrote:
> Saphirus Sage wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1069
> >>
> >> I found it quite interesting that even Gentoo beat Canonical in the
> >> amount of patches contributed upstream...
> >
> > Good find, I actually didn't know about E-Trade using Gentoo servers. I
> > don't think it should be too surprising that Gentoo would contribute
> > more patches than Conical, as until today, I'd only actually heard of
> > one of them.
>
> This video brought up an interesting question by my friend (an ubuntu
> user). How would one go about getting Canonical or the ubuntu community
> to change their practice of not contributing fixes back upstream?
> Without having to change distributions.

Gentoo involves you more with what goes bad under the bonnet and the average
Gentoo user is more interested in the workings of their OS to attempt
troubleshooting it and filing bugs. Your average Ubuntu user is less likely
to get their hands dirty, unless they are a dev. So, essentially we are
talking about different user profiles here. To answer your friend's
hypothetical question - he would either have to change your average Ubuntu's
user technical aptitude, or change the user. Either attempt may mean the end
of Ubuntu as we know it.
Mick

Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Stroller

On 10 Feb 2009, at 04:59, Saphirus Sage wrote:

... I
don't think it should be too surprising that Gentoo would contribute
more patches than Conical, as until today, I'd only actually heard of
one of them.

Canonical is Ubuntu.

Stroller.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Roy Wright

Saphirus Sage wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]

The ubuntus are targeted at disgruntled windows users while gentoo is
targeted at unix users. The former are used to complaining and getting
no response while the later know it's their responsibility to help make
it better...

Have fun,
Roy

Old 02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Roy Wright wrote:

[...]
The ubuntus are targeted at disgruntled windows users while gentoo is
targeted at unix users. The former are used to complaining and getting
no response while the later know it's their responsibility to help make
it better...

"Works for me."

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Joshua D Doll

Saphirus Sage wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

[...]

I think you may be right with your assessment there Roy. The only
solution I could up with was to change distributions he didn't like that
suggestion, not sure why, because changing distros is like changing
underwear. Maybe he has some strange fascination with Ubunutu's pretty
color scheme?

--Joshua Doll
//

Old 02-12-2009, 01:53 PM
"Joost Roeleveld"

On Tue, February 10, 2009 11:12 pm, Joshua D Doll wrote:
> Roy Wright wrote:
>> Mick wrote:

>>> Gentoo involves you more with what goes bad under the bonnet and the
>>> average Gentoo user is more interested in the workings of their OS to
>>> attempt troubleshooting it and filing bugs. Your average Ubuntu user
>>> is less likely to get their hands dirty, unless they are a dev. So,
>>> essentially we are talking about different user profiles here. To
>>> answer your friend's hypothetical question - he would either have to
>>> change your average Ubuntu's user technical aptitude, or change the
>>> user. Either attempt may mean the end of Ubuntu as we know it.
>>
>> The ubuntus are targeted at disgruntled windows users while gentoo is
>> targeted at unix users. The former are used to complaining and
>> getting no response while the later know it's their responsibility to
>> help make it better...
>>
>> Have fun,
>> Roy
>>

> I think you may be right with your assessment there Roy. The only
> solution I could up with was to change distributions he didn't like that
> suggestion, not sure why, because changing distros is like changing
> underwear. Maybe he has some strange fascination with Ubunutu's pretty
> color scheme?

Wouldn't the following solve that though?
# echo "x11-themes/gtk-engines-ubuntulooks ~*"
# emerge gtk-engines-ubuntulooks

It's currently at version 0.9.12-r2. I have not used this, so I have no
clue how well this works.

--
Joost