Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
James

Default ALSA config problem

Quandry:

(2) ALSA drivers exist. No matter what kernel choices I make
I either get 2 different ALSA devices, or none.

The mobo has an Nvidia chip, the video card has a ATI video chip,
both only work under the Intel HDA driver. These are compiled
into the kernel, not loadable modules. I'm going bald googling
trying to find out what to do, or how to fix?

from dmesg:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.17.
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAZA] enabled at IRQ 23
HDA Intel 0000:00:05.0: PCI INT B -> Link[LAZA] -> GSI 23
(level, low) -> IRQ 23
HDA Intel 0000:00:05.0: setting latency timer to 64
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNEA] enabled at IRQ 19
HDA Intel 0000:02:00.1: PCI INT B -> Link[LNEA] -> GSI 19
(level, low) -> IRQ 19
HDA Intel 0000:02:00.1: setting latency timer to 64
ALSA device list:
#0: HDA NVidia at 0xdfef8000 irq 23
#1: HDA ATI HDMI at 0xdffec000 irq 19

lspci -v shoes:
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition
Audio (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8290

02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio
Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device aa38

No sound. Kmix has a red X over it on my kde panel.
There are no choices there in Kmix to select on.
HOW do I set this up? udev, hal, or evdev configs?

Ideas?

James

Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Naga

On Monday 09 February 2009 19:13:32 James wrote:
[...]
> The mobo has an Nvidia chip, the video card has a ATI video chip,
> both only work under the Intel HDA driver. These are compiled
> into the kernel, not loadable modules. I'm going bald googling
> trying to find out what to do, or how to fix?
[...]
> No sound. Kmix has a red X over it on my kde panel.
> There are no choices there in Kmix to select on.
> HOW do I set this up? udev, hal, or evdev configs?

In the 2.6.28 kernel alsa is broken for hda-intel. Either use 2.6.27 series
kernel or use a live alsa ebuild.

/Regards
Naga

Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
James

Naga <nagatoro <at> gmail.com> writes:

> In the 2.6.28 kernel alsa is broken for hda-intel. Either use 2.6.27 series
> kernel or use a live alsa ebuild.

Makes sense, but, it's does not work for *26 or *27 kernels:

Linux sliver 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 #12 SMP Mon Feb 9 13:04:18 EST 2009 x86_64 AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

It's a new install, and it has never worked. It works find under XP.

James

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Roy Wright

James wrote:

Naga <nagatoro <at> gmail.com> writes:

In the 2.6.28 kernel alsa is broken for hda-intel. Either use 2.6.27 series
kernel or use a live alsa ebuild.

Makes sense, but, it's does not work for *26 or *27 kernels:

Linux sliver 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 #12 SMP Mon Feb 9 13:04:18 EST 2009 x86_64 AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

It's a new install, and it has never worked. It works find under XP.

Start with:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

On my new install using 2.6.28-gentoo-r1, alsa kernel, sound as modules
(recommended), snd_intel_hda, ~x86, I have both analog and SPDI/F
working, but the kernel is not recognizing HDMI device.

In a nut shell,

* enable alsa in the kernel
* enable as modules device drivers/sound card support/...
* do not install alsa-drivers.
* emerge alsa-utils
* follow the alsa-guide
* if digital device not recognized, specify option name from
ALSA-Configuration.txt

HTH,
Roy

Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
James

Roy Wright <roy <at> wright.org> writes:

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt

Yep got these. They do seem to be dated, in light of the
recent kernel changes related to audio....?

> On my new install using 2.6.28-gentoo-r1, alsa kernel, sound as modules
> (recommended), snd_intel_hda, ~x86, I have both analog and SPDI/F
> working, but the kernel is not recognizing HDMI device.

Well, for now, I went back to this kernel version:
2.6.24-gentoo-r8

Only one audio chip (nvidia) shows up, and I got it working now

I'll try a 2.8 kernel when the gentoo sources go stable.

> * enable alsa in the kernel
> * enable as modules device drivers/sound card support/...
> * do not install alsa-drivers.
> * emerge alsa-utils
> * follow the alsa-guide
> * if digital device not recognized, specify option name from
> ALSA-Configuration.txt

I appreciate these steps and refs....

I'm good for now.

James

Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Sebastian Günther

* Naga (nagatoro@gmail.com) [09.02.09 19:35]:

> In the 2.6.28 kernel alsa is broken for hda-intel. Either use 2.6.27 series
> kernel or use a live alsa ebuild.

Why can I listen to music and watch DVD with my hda-intel, if it's
broken?

> /Regards
> Naga

Curious
Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Mick

On Monday 09 February 2009, James wrote:
> Roy Wright <roy <at> wright.org> writes:

> > On my new install using 2.6.28-gentoo-r1, alsa kernel, sound as modules
> > (recommended),
[snip...]

> > * enable alsa in the kernel
> > * enable as modules device drivers/sound card support/...
[snip...]

> I appreciate these steps and refs....
>
> I'm good for now.

As was suggested above you may get better luck building the alsa drivers as
modules. Although I had my sound card driver built in the kernel for the
last 2-3 years, I had to revert to building it as a module to get it to work
with kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r6/8.
Mick

Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Naga

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 07:02:16 Sebastian Günther wrote:
> * Naga (nagatoro@gmail.com) [09.02.09 19:35]:
> > In the 2.6.28 kernel alsa is broken for hda-intel. Either use 2.6.27
> > series kernel or use a live alsa ebuild.
>
> Why can I listen to music and watch DVD with my hda-intel, if it's
> broken?

Guess it's only broken for certain cards then?

/Regards
Naga

Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Roy Wright

Mick wrote:

On Monday 09 February 2009, James wrote:

Roy Wright <roy <at> wright.org> writes:

On my new install using 2.6.28-gentoo-r1, alsa kernel, sound as modules
(recommended),
[snip...]

* enable alsa in the kernel
* enable as modules device drivers/sound card support/...

[snip...]

I appreciate these steps and refs....

I'm good for now.

As was suggested above you may get better luck building the alsa drivers as
modules. Although I had my sound card driver built in the kernel for the
last 2-3 years, I had to revert to building it as a module to get it to work
with kernel 2.6.27-gentoo-r6/8.

The main reason for building the sound drivers as modules is so that
alsaconf can find and setup your sound card for you.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 19:34 +0100, Naga wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009 19:13:32 James wrote:
> [...]
> > The mobo has an Nvidia chip, the video card has a ATI video chip,
> > both only work under the Intel HDA driver. These are compiled
> > into the kernel, not loadable modules. I'm going bald googling
> > trying to find out what to do, or how to fix?
> [...]
> > No sound. Kmix has a red X over it on my kde panel.
> > There are no choices there in Kmix to select on.
> > HOW do I set this up? udev, hal, or evdev configs?
>
> In the 2.6.28 kernel alsa is broken for hda-intel. Either use 2.6.27 series
> kernel or use a live alsa ebuild.

Works for me. In fact, I've never alsa, mixers, and sound working
better than in 2.6.28...

I have this card:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)
which has the pci id 8086:284b

All men know the utility of useful things;
but they do not know the utility of futility.
-- Chuang-tzu