FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
David Negreira
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
> version.
>
> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
>
>
Hi,

You could use grdesktop that has all that features.


Kind regards,

>DN
 
Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Drew Tomlinson
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

David Negreira wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
>> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
>> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
>> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
>> version.
>>
>> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
>> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Drew
>>
>>
>>
> Hi,
>
> You could use grdesktop that has all that features.
>

Thank you for your reply. However grdesktop appears to be only for
connecting to Windows Remote Desktop and NOT VNC. Am I missing
something? I need to connect to VNC servers.

Thanks,

Drew


--
Be a Great Magician!
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
 
Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> David Negreira wrote:
>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
>>> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
>>> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
>>> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
>>> version.
>>>
>>> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
>>> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Drew
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You could use grdesktop that has all that features.
>>
>
> Thank you for your reply. However grdesktop appears to be only for
> connecting to Windows Remote Desktop and NOT VNC. Am I missing
> something? I need to connect to VNC servers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

There's kvnc in KDE land. Don't remember if it has all those features,
but I *think* it did. I has been ages since I used VNC.
 
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
David Negreira
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

David Negreira wrote:


Drew Tomlinson wrote:



I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
version.

I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Drew





Hi,

You could use grdesktop that has all that features.




Thank you for your reply. However grdesktop appears to be only for
connecting to Windows Remote Desktop and NOT VNC. Am I missing
something? I need to connect to VNC servers.

Thanks,

Drew




Sorry my bad! I was busy around here and thought that it was rdesktop
=) For vnc i usually use vncviewer only, good luck with your quest.
 
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Momesso Andrea
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 10:56:36AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net> wrote:
> > David Negreira wrote:
> >> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> >>
> >>> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
> >>> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
> >>> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
> >>> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
> >>> version.
> >>>
> >>> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
> >>> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks,
> >>>
> >>> Drew
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> You could use grdesktop that has all that features.
> >>
> >
> > Thank you for your reply. However grdesktop appears to be only for
> > connecting to Windows Remote Desktop and NOT VNC. Am I missing
> > something? I need to connect to VNC servers.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Drew
>
> There's kvnc in KDE land. Don't remember if it has all those features,
> but I *think* it did. I has been ages since I used VNC.
>

I know it's a bit off topic, but I would suggest to take a look at
freenx.

It works great even on very slow connections (in my case GPRS), and has
a great set of features.

It allows on-the-go screen resizig, full-screen, ecc.

=======
TopperH
=======
 
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Aaron Clark
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
version.

I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.



Did you check the version numbers for the two TightVNC clients? You
might need to switch to a ~arch version of Tight on Gentoo if the stable
version is too old.


If you're running Gnome, you could also take a look at Vinagre as a
client. It does connection bookmarking, multiple connections on tabs, etc.


Aaron
 
Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Hung Dang
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> David Negreira wrote:
>
>> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
>>> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
>>> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
>>> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
>>> version.
>>>
>>> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
>>> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Drew
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You could use grdesktop that has all that features.
>>
>>
>
> Thank you for your reply. However grdesktop appears to be only for
> connecting to Windows Remote Desktop and NOT VNC. Am I missing
> something? I need to connect to VNC servers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew
>
>
>
You can adjust your bandwidth in vncviewer using option -compresslevel
and -quality.

Hung
 
Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Roy Wright
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

Drew Tomlinson wrote:

I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.



Under KDE, there's krdc. Supports VNC and you can bookmark connections.

I'll second freenx, assuming you have control of the server so can
install it.


HTH,
Roy
 
Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Drew Tomlinson
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

Aaron Clark wrote:
> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
>> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
>> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
>> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
>> version.
>>
>> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
>> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.
>>
>
> Did you check the version numbers for the two TightVNC clients? You
> might need to switch to a ~arch version of Tight on Gentoo if the
> stable version is too old.
>
> If you're running Gnome, you could also take a look at Vinagre as a
> client. It does connection bookmarking, multiple connections on tabs,
> etc.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My TightVNC on Linux is version
1.3.9 and is from net-misc/tightvnc-1.3.9-r2. As I am using Gnome, I've
installed Vinagre and it appears to be what I need. I just wish there
was some way to scroll in fullscreen mode.

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse

http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Iain Buchanan
 
Default vncviewer Recommendation

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 14:21 -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> Aaron Clark wrote:
> > Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> >> I'm looking for an vncviewer for Linux that has the same features as the
> >> Tight VNC viewer on Windows. I really like how the Windows viewer will
> >> scale the desktop and "remember" connections. Also, it's very easy to
> >> choose between "low" and "high" bandwidth connections with the Windows
> >> version.

> >> I've installed the TightVNC viewer on my Gentoo box and it does not
> >> appear to have any of these features. I'm looking for recommendations.

It doesn't remember connections unless you create a launcher, but I use
net-misc/tightvnc too. First try `-encodings tight` and you will see
vast improvements (if its supported by the server)

Then try `-compresslevel 9 -quality 3` in addition to -encodings if
you're using it over a modem, and you will find it quite usable (I do
this over bad modem lines <<30kbit and its passable)

> Thanks to all for the suggestions. My TightVNC on Linux is version
> 1.3.9 and is from net-misc/tightvnc-1.3.9-r2. As I am using Gnome, I've
> installed Vinagre and it appears to be what I need. I just wish there
> was some way to scroll in fullscreen mode.

I've never bothered using VNC in full screen mode as my laptop has a
resolution higher than anything I vnc to, so can't help you there...

--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

Is there life before breakfast?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org