Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Mick

Default Update mime database - won't!

Hi All,

I tried following the elog suggestion after emerging
x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.51, but I get this message back:

# update-mime-database /usr/local/share/mime/
update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on /usr/local/share/mime.
Try rerunning me as root.

Looking for it reveals that it's not there:

# ls -la /usr/local/share/mime/
ls: cannot access /usr/local/share/mime/: No such file or directory

Is there anything else that I need to do first before trying to update it?
Mick

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Justin

Mick wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I tried following the elog suggestion after emerging
> x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.51, but I get this message back:
>
> # update-mime-database /usr/local/share/mime/
> update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on /usr/local/share/mime.
> Try rerunning me as root.
>
> Looking for it reveals that it's not there:
>
> # ls -la /usr/local/share/mime/
> ls: cannot access /usr/local/share/mime/: No such file or directory
>
> Is there anything else that I need to do first before trying to update it?

Just do update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/

I don't know who has it in /usr/local?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Mick

On Sunday 08 February 2009, Justin wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I tried following the elog suggestion after emerging
> > x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.51, but I get this message back:
> >
> > # update-mime-database /usr/local/share/mime/
> > update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on
> > /usr/local/share/mime. Try rerunning me as root.
> >
> > Looking for it reveals that it's not there:
> >
> > # ls -la /usr/local/share/mime/
> > ls: cannot access /usr/local/share/mime/: No such file or directory
> >
> > Is there anything else that I need to do first before trying to update
> > it?
>
> Just do update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/
>
> I don't know who has it in /usr/local?

Thanks, should I file a bug?
Mick

Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Justin

Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2009, Justin wrote:
>> Mick wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I tried following the elog suggestion after emerging
>>> x11-misc/shared-mime-info-0.51, but I get this message back:
>>>
>>> # update-mime-database /usr/local/share/mime/
>>> update-mime-database: I don't have write permission on
>>> /usr/local/share/mime. Try rerunning me as root.
>>>
>>> Looking for it reveals that it's not there:
>>>
>>> # ls -la /usr/local/share/mime/
>>> ls: cannot access /usr/local/share/mime/: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> Is there anything else that I need to do first before trying to update
>>> it?
>> Just do update-mime-database /usr/share/mime/
>>
>> I don't know who has it in /usr/local?
>
> Thanks, should I file a bug?

Do that.