Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Vizo Allman

Default {OT} xfce4 network management?

I have been using wicd and it works quit nicely.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

I have to admit I'm a little sick of constant /etc/conf.d/net and

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf editing while traveling. *Does

anyone use a network management app they're happy with? *Especially

one that works well with xfce4?

- Grant

--
"Nor aught availed him now
To have build in Heaven high towers * *Nor did he scape

To build in Hell
"Milton, "Paradise Lost"

Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:01:39 -0800, Grant wrote:

> I have to admit I'm a little sick of constant /etc/conf.d/net and
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf editing while traveling. Does
> anyone use a network management app they're happy with? Especially
> one that works well with xfce4?

wicd

--
Neil Bothwick

Computer (n): A device designed to speed and automate errors.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Liviu Andronic

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf editing while traveling. Does

There's also wpa_gui.
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

Old 02-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Saphirus Sage

I have to admit I'm a little sick of constant /etc/conf.d/net and
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf editing while traveling. Does
anyone use a network management app they're happy with? Especially
one that works well with xfce4?

- Grant

Have you tried wicd?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Saphirus Sage

On Feb 7, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@gmail.com>
/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf editing while traveling.
Does

There's also wpa_gui.
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
Do you know how to write?

But you can use wicd for most anything from unencryped, to WEP, to WPA
and WPA2. Wicd is just plain easy.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Grant

>>> /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf editing while traveling. Does
>>>
>> There's also wpa_gui.
>> Liviu
>>

>> --
>> Do you know how to read?
>> http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm
>> Do you know how to write?
>> http://garbl.home.comcast.net/~garbl/stylemanual/e.htm#e-mail
>>

> But you can use wicd for most anything from unencryped, to WEP, to WPA and
> WPA2. Wicd is just plain easy.

Just what I was looking for, thanks everyone.

- Grant

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 17:46:26 -0500, Saphirus Sage wrote:

> But you can use wicd for most anything from unencryped, to WEP, to WPA
> and WPA2. Wicd is just plain easy.

The only thing I wish it would handle, that the latest NetworkManager
does, is 3G modem connections.

--
Neil Bothwick

Manual Writer's Creed: Garbage in, gospel out.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Grant

>> But you can use wicd for most anything from unencryped, to WEP, to WPA
>> and WPA2. Wicd is just plain easy.
>
> The only thing I wish it would handle, that the latest NetworkManager
> does, is 3G modem connections.

Why choose wicd over NetworkManager?

- Grant

Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Francesco Talamona

On Sunday 08 February 2009, Grant wrote:
> Why choose wicd over NetworkManager?

Hi guys I'm back with a differend mail address, hope someone missed
me :-)

I tested both, but NM keeps shutting down wired NIC randomly, sometimes
is eth0, other times is eth1.

eth0 and ath0 are connected to the same access point, so it is sane to
inhibite eth0, but I have hundred services relying on eth1 (fixed IP,
internal network), half my system go upside down when eth1 lose its
address. I don't want NM to touch this interface, even it is unplugged.

Is it there a way to fix this?

With wicd is trivial to pair eth0 and ath0, but it runs wireless for a
few minutes, then it switches back to wired.

So I'm going to try wpa_gui...

Cheers
Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.28-gentoo, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 26 08:55:48
CET 2008

Old 02-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:46:18 -0800, Grant wrote:

> > The only thing I wish it would handle, that the latest NetworkManager
> > does, is 3G modem connections.
>
> Why choose wicd over NetworkManager?

It was far easier to set up so that my wireless connection was available
before the desktop loaded. It also handles reconnections in a more
straightforward manner.

That saves a lot more time than I lose by having to type "sudo pon"
occasionally.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm not closed minded, you're just wrong.