Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Danis Petkakis

Default Hard disk power save

hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing as a power saving scheme as far as hard disks are
concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they are not being accessed after a defined
period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that would be really appreciated...

thanks in advance...

Danis Petkakis

Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Remy Blank

Danis Petkakis wrote:
> hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing as a power
> saving scheme as far as hard disks are
> concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they are not
> being accessed after a defined
> period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that would be
> really appreciated...

If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not
containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more specifically the
-S option.

If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop), look at
app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.

-- Remy

Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Danis Petkakis

2009/2/7 Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com>

Danis Petkakis wrote:

> hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing as a power

> saving scheme as far as hard disks are

> concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they are not

> being accessed after a defined

> period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that would be

> really appreciated...

If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not

containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more specifically the

-S option.

If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop), look at

app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.

-- Remy

does hdparm work on sata hard disks aswell? because i couldn't find such an option
in sdparm

Danis

Old 02-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Dale

Danis Petkakis wrote:
> 2009/2/7 Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com <mailto:remy.blank@pobox.com>>
>
> Danis Petkakis wrote:
> > hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing as a power
> > saving scheme as far as hard disks are
> > concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they
> are not
> > being accessed after a defined
> > period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that
> would be
> > really appreciated...
>
> If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not
> containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more
> specifically the
> -S option.
>
> If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop),
> look at
> app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.
>
> -- Remy
>

> does hdparm work on sata hard disks aswell? because i couldn't find
> such an option
> in sdparm
>
> Danis

From the man page, right at the top no less. o_O

NAME
hdparm - get/set SATA/IDE device parameters

It should work for SATA to.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Danis Petkakis

ok i tried 'hdparm -y /dev/sda' and though i can hear a little noise as if the disk is in sleep
mode after a while (5 secs) it makes a noise as though it is spinning up again...also
'hdparm -C /dev/sda' shows the disk active/idle...i also tried with 'hdparm -S12 /dev/sda'

but couldn't tell whether it is working or not...how can i make sure it actually works?

2009/2/7 Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com>

Danis Petkakis wrote:

> 2009/2/7 Remy Blank <remy.blank@pobox.com <mailto:remy.blank@pobox.com>>

> * * Danis Petkakis wrote:

> * * > hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing as a power

> * * > saving scheme as far as hard disks are

> * * > concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they

> * * are not

> * * > being accessed after a defined

> * * > period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that

> * * would be

> * * > really appreciated...

> * * If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not

> * * containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more

> * * specifically the

> * * -S option.

> * * If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop),

> * * look at

> * * app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.

> * * -- Remy

> does hdparm work on sata hard disks aswell? because i couldn't find

> such an option

> in sdparm

> Danis

From the man page, right at the top no less. *o_O

NAME

* * * hdparm - get/set SATA/IDE device parameters

It should work for SATA to.

Dale

:-) *:-)

Old 02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

still mounted.
waking it up if it's
almost always something
put it too sleep. There's
umount it before you
Usually, you have to

<mailto:remy.blank@pobox.com> <mailto:remy.blank@pobox.com
<mailto:remy.blank@pobox.com>>>

> Danis Petkakis wrote:
> > hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing
as a power
> > saving scheme as far as hard disks are
> > concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they
> are not
> > being accessed after a defined
> > period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that
> would be
> > really appreciated...
>
> If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not
> containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more
> specifically the
> -S option.
>
> If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop),
> look at
> app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.
>
> -- Remy
>

> does hdparm work on sata hard disks aswell? because i couldn't find
> such an option
> in sdparm
>
> Danis

From the man page, right at the top no less. o_O

Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Danis Petkakis

you're telling me i have to umount it first and then put it to sleep?
because it is mounted it cannot be put to sleep?

ok i tried 'hdparm -y /dev/sda' and though i can hear a little noise as if the disk is in sleep

mode after a while (5 secs) it makes a noise as though it is spinning up again...also

'hdparm -C /dev/sda' shows the disk active/idle...i also tried with 'hdparm -S12 /dev/sda'

but couldn't tell whether it is working or not...how can i make sure it actually works?

* * > * * > hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing

* *as a power

* * > * * > saving scheme as far as hard disks are

* * > * * > concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they

* * > * * are not

* * > * * > being accessed after a defined

* * > * * > period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that

* * > * * would be

* * > * * > really appreciated...

* * >

* * > * * If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not

* * > * * containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more

* * > * * specifically the

* * > * * -S option.

* * >

* * > * * If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop),

* * > * * look at

* * > * * app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.

* * >

* * > * * -- Remy

* * >

* * >

* * > does hdparm work on sata hard disks aswell? because i couldn't find

* * > such an option

* * > in sdparm

* * >

* * > Danis

* * From the man page, right at the top no less. *o_O

* *NAME

* * * * *hdparm - get/set SATA/IDE device parameters

* *It should work for SATA to.

* *Dale

* *:-) *:-)

Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Dale

Danis Petkakis wrote:
> you're telling me i have to umount it first and then put it to sleep?
> because it is mounted it cannot be put to sleep?

If you have a journalized file system, you may have to. Every time it
updates the journal it will spin the drive back up. I think some of the
gurus need to know what file system you are using and then go from
there. Spinning down a drive can be done but some situations won't
allow that to happen to well.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Danis Petkakis

in both drives i try to spin down i use ntfs as filesystem...

Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Remy Blank

Danis Petkakis wrote:
> ok i tried 'hdparm -y /dev/sda' and though i can hear a little noise as
> if the disk is in sleep
> mode after a while (5 secs) it makes a noise as though it is spinning up
> again...

That's why I mentioned laptop-mode-tools. If configured properly, it
ensures that the drive will not spin up a few seconds after having
stopped, by buffering all writes. For example, I have configured my
laptop to buffer writes for up to 10 minutes.

The drawback, obviously, is that I can loose up to 10 minutes of work if
I have a power interruption, but on a laptop, this never happens. I'm
not sure I would want to have that on a server, though.

-- Remy