Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 AM

Default ezmlm

Hello,

I have been using ezmlm for the past few yeears to manage some mailing
lists. Now emerge is warning me that these packages are masked for
removal. So what shoud I do next:
- stick with ezmlm as long as it keeps functioning
- uninstall ezeml an reinstall from source
- find a new mailinglist manager that works with qmail (and which one
would you advise?)

Thanks.

Kind regards, Henk.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Mike Kazantsev

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 09:55:26 +0100
henkg@brankie.xs4all.nl wrote:

> I have been using ezmlm for the past few yeears to manage some mailing
> lists. Now emerge is warning me that these packages are masked for
> removal. So what shoud I do next:

> - stick with ezmlm as long as it keeps functioning
> - uninstall ezeml an reinstall from source

I'd suggest to add latest ezmlm available to some overlay, so it'll be
installed as a proper package.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM
AllenJB

henkg@brankie.xs4all.nl wrote:

Hello,

I have been using ezmlm for the past few yeears to manage some mailing
lists. Now emerge is warning me that these packages are masked for
removal. So what shoud I do next:

- stick with ezmlm as long as it keeps functioning
- uninstall ezeml an reinstall from source
- find a new mailinglist manager that works with qmail (and which one
would you advise?)

Thanks.

Kind regards, Henk.

This package is masked for removal because it's unmaintained. That means
upstream aren't releasing updates or working on the code in any way. You
need to consider that this introduces problems with the software working
with newer versions of its dependencies and the potential security
issues. (No matter how great a code djb thinks he is)

Just because a package "keeps functioning", doesn't mean it's safe to
keep. You have to consider security issues, bugs, etc.

Uninstalling it and installing it from source is plain silly. Overlays
mean you can move the package to your own overlay and maintain it there
under the package manager. Why on earth would you choose to install
manually when you can use the package manager?

You might also want to look at ezmlm-idx, which appears to be an at
least somewhat active project that has maintained (a patch set for) ezmlm.

My recommendation would be to find an actively maintained replacement
(and for qmail too, while you're at it)

AllenJB

Old 02-07-2009, 01:59 PM

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 01:48:33PM +0000, AllenJB wrote:
> you can move the package to your own overlay and maintain it there under
> the package manager. Why on earth would you choose to install manually when
> you can use the package manager?

Simply because I never looked at overlays.

> You might also want to look at ezmlm-idx, which appears to be an at least
> somewhat active project that has maintained (a patch set for) ezmlm.

I did, however the docs state that ezmlm is a requirement for ezmlm-idx.
Strange however is that ezmlm-0.53 is masked for removel, just like
ezmlm-idx-mysql, however ezmolm-idx is still available, though it should
not work without ezmlm.

> My recommendation would be to find an actively maintained replacement (and
> for qmail too, while you're at it)

Somehow i like qmail. I have used postfix earlier, however my mail setup
has worked with minor sturgles for six years, so I am somewhat hazitant
to throw away a working solution.

Thanks for the reply.

Henk,