Old 02-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Roy Wright

Default kernel install question

Howdy,

Setting up a new system and want to do the simple grub setup where I
have grub menu of:

* Current Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz)
* Previous Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz.old)
* Gentoo 2.6.28-r1 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1)

Then when I rebuild the kernel I can use the following command:

$ make && make modules_install && make install

The make install should handle moving /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old
and copying the current image to /boot/vmlinuz.

I found what I think is the instructions I used before:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Kernel/Installing

which basically say to emerge debianutils

The problem I'm seeing is that "make install" is including the version
number in the vmlinuz filenames:

# ls -1 /boot
System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
boot
config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
grub
vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old

Any ideas or better instructions for getting the versionless vmlinuz files?

TIA,
Roy

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 06 Februar 2009, Roy Wright wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Setting up a new system and want to do the simple grub setup where I
> have grub menu of:
>
> * Current Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz)
> * Previous Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz.old)
> * Gentoo 2.6.28-r1 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1)
>
> Then when I rebuild the kernel I can use the following command:
>
> $ make && make modules_install && make install
>
> The make install should handle moving /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old
> and copying the current image to /boot/vmlinuz.
>
> I found what I think is the instructions I used before:
>
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Kernel/Installing
>
> which basically say to emerge debianutils
>
> The problem I'm seeing is that "make install" is including the version
> number in the vmlinuz filenames:
>
> # ls -1 /boot
> System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
> System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
> boot
> config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
> config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
> grub
> vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
> vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
>

> Any ideas or better instructions for getting the versionless vmlinuz files?

create them once and you have them in the future.

also
make all modules_install install

is shorter and gives you the same result.