Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Chris Lieb

Default KDE 4.2 Konsole Title

I recently switched to KDE 4.2 (completely removed KDE 3.5.9 and emerge
@kde-4.2) and fired up my system update script. I noticed right away
that the title bar of Konsole did not update to show my progress in my
emerge -u... world. In fact, it only showed the user name and directory
that I was currently in. No script seemed to change the contents of the
title bar. I noticed the same behavior in lxvt run in KDE 4.2 also.

In Konsole under KDE 3.5.9, the title bar would always be controlled by
the script that was running. Is this supposed to happen in KDE 4.2, or
is this a bug?

Thanks,
Chris Lieb

Old 02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2009 16:10:34 schrieb Chris Lieb:

> I recently switched to KDE 4.2 (completely removed KDE 3.5.9 and emerge
> @kde-4.2) and fired up my system update script. I noticed right away
> that the title bar of Konsole did not update to show my progress in my
> emerge -u... world. In fact, it only showed the user name and directory
> that I was currently in. No script seemed to change the contents of the
> title bar. I noticed the same behavior in lxvt run in KDE 4.2 also.
>
> In Konsole under KDE 3.5.9, the title bar would always be controlled by
> the script that was running. Is this supposed to happen in KDE 4.2, or
> is this a bug?

It's configurable per profile. What you see is just the default behaviour.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 02-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Hilco Wijbenga

2009/2/6 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@online.de>:
> Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2009 16:10:34 schrieb Chris Lieb:
>
>> I recently switched to KDE 4.2 (completely removed KDE 3.5.9 and emerge
>> @kde-4.2) and fired up my system update script. I noticed right away
>> that the title bar of Konsole did not update to show my progress in my
>> emerge -u... world. In fact, it only showed the user name and directory
>> that I was currently in. No script seemed to change the contents of the
>> title bar. I noticed the same behavior in lxvt run in KDE 4.2 also.
>>
>> In Konsole under KDE 3.5.9, the title bar would always be controlled by
>> the script that was running. Is this supposed to happen in KDE 4.2, or
>> is this a bug?

Yeah, I noticed the same.

> It's configurable per profile. What you see is just the default behaviour.

I can only find "notitles" in /etc/make.conf, there doesn't seem to be
an option to switch it on. So how to get the old behaviour back? It's
nice to be able to tell at a glance how much is left to do.

Cheers,
Hilco

Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Samstag, 7. Februar 2009 07:16:28 schrieb Hilco Wijbenga:

> I can only find "notitles" in /etc/make.conf

Konsole profile, not portage profile.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Chris Lieb wrote:

I recently switched to KDE 4.2 (completely removed KDE 3.5.9 and emerge
@kde-4.2) and fired up my system update script. I noticed right away
that the title bar of Konsole did not update to show my progress in my
emerge -u... world. In fact, it only showed the user name and directory
that I was currently in. No script seemed to change the contents of the
title bar. I noticed the same behavior in lxvt run in KDE 4.2 also.

In Konsole under KDE 3.5.9, the title bar would always be controlled by
the script that was running. Is this supposed to happen in KDE 4.2, or
is this a bug?

In the profile of Konsole you're using, in the "Tabs" tab, edit the "Tab
title format" according to your needs. To get KDE 3 behavior, you need
"%d : %w".

Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Chris Lieb

Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Chris Lieb wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Chris Lieb wrote:

[...]
In Konsole under KDE 3.5.9, the title bar would always be controlled by
the script that was running. Is this supposed to happen in KDE 4.2, or
is this a bug?

In the profile of Konsole you're using, in the "Tabs" tab, edit the "Tab
title format" according to your needs. To get KDE 3 behavior, you need

I did that and it worked. However, I noticed that there tends to be a
delay between when the title should change and when it actually does.
In KDE 3.5, as soon as emerge moved to the next package, it would change
the window title almost instantly. In KDE 4.2, there is a lag of a
couple seconds. Is there something I need to configure to get this to
happen more quickly, or is it an upstream bug?

Can't find anything in the settings. Might not even be a bug but just
how it works. You can always try filing a bug about it on bugs.kde.org
though, either as a wish or a real bug.