Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Frank Schwidom

Default Setting LANG/LC_ALL to html

Hi,

im searching for a suitable package which provides locales for html. Is
there any existing known package? When not, is it possible to create
such a package, and how?

Regards

Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM
AllenJB

Frank Schwidom wrote:

Hi,

im searching for a suitable package which provides locales for html. Is
there any existing known package? When not, is it possible to create
such a package, and how?

Regards

What exactly are you trying to do?

LANG usually specifies the language you want software to use while
LC_ALL usually specifies the locale settings (things like what format do
you want long numbers in) software should use.

AllenJB

Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM
"b.n."

Frank Schwidom ha scritto:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:25:11PM +0000, AllenJB wrote:
>> Frank Schwidom wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> im searching for a suitable package which provides locales for html. Is
>>> there any existing known package? When not, is it possible to create
>>> such a package, and how?
>>> Regards
>> What exactly are you trying to do?
>>
>> LANG usually specifies the language you want software to use while LC_ALL
>> usually specifies the locale settings (things like what format do you want
>> long numbers in) software should use.
>>
>> AllenJB
>
> I want to handle html-files like UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 files.

You should setup unicode in your use flags, I think.

m,

Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Frank Schwidom (schwidom@gmx.net) [06.02.09 19:43]:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 03:25:11PM +0000, AllenJB wrote:
>
> I want to handle html-files like UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 files.

???

Where, why, whatfor?

I still not get it.

-vv

More context: Any specific app, any special purpose and what's not
working as you wish.

> Regards

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Frank Schwidom

Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:10:31 +0000, Frank Schwidom wrote:

> I expect, if LANG is set to html (if this locale would exist), that if a
> file a.html contains <&gt;> and i make 'cat a.html' then '<' sould
> appear on the console. Is the locale system flexible enough to do this?

That's not what locale is intended for. Even if it were, it wouldn't
affect the output of cat, whose job is to display the contents of the
file verbatim.

Try html2text a.html.

--
Neil Bothwick

...context...

Old 02-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Frank Schwidom

Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Frank Schwidom wrote:

Hi,

im searching for a suitable package which provides locales for html.

HTML is NOT a character encoding. Therefore, you cannot do that.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Jesús Guerrero

El Sab, 7 de Febrero de 2009, 13:19, Neil Bothwick escribió:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:10:31 +0000, Frank Schwidom wrote:
>

>> I expect, if LANG is set to html (if this locale would exist), that if
>> a file a.html contains <&gt;> and i make 'cat a.html' then '<' sould
>> appear on the console. Is the locale system flexible enough to do this?
>>

> That's not what locale is intended for. Even if it were, it wouldn't
> affect the output of cat, whose job is to display the contents of the file
> verbatim.
>
> Try html2text a.html.

Sorry to both for sounding like an asshole, but I can't resist.

There are programs that can output html files properly, they
are called "web browsers". Use lynx, links, elinks, w3m or
whatever fits you to "cat" html files.

What the OP want can't be achieved with locales, at least I
can't think of a way though I am admittedly no expert in the
internals of the localization subsystem.

Cheers.
--
Jesús Guerrero