Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Sebastian Günther

Default Ctrl+c kills KOrganizer 4.2 when it should copy text

* Arttu V. (arttuv69@gmail.com) [06.02.09 13:37]:
> Hello,
>

> For example, KOrganizer edit menus still show shortcuts for copy,
> paste, etc as ctrl+something (ctrl+c for copy). However, when I'm
> adding a new event or todo and press ctrl+c to copy some text around
> -- boom, X closes itself and I'm back to the text console (I use
> startx from the text console, not graphical login screens).

Some application does not capture ctrl+c, which is normaly the interupt
shortcut in bash. So it surely is passed down to bash which intrupts
startx, since it is the active job.

I bet it won't happen with any Xsession started from any *dm.

If it's possible then please test this, anyway you should pinpoint down,
where else it is possible to kill your Xsession, so that you can file a
bugreport to the right people.

Sebastian

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Willie Wong

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 07:57:31PM +0200, Penguin Lover Arttu V. squawked:
> On 2/6/09, Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 6 Feb 2009, at 12:36, Arttu V. wrote:
> >> Any insight on where to start looking for the problem (and especially
> >> solution) is most welcome, including pointing out stupid newbie
> >> mistakes.

I lost your original mail, so sorry if this is not threaded properly.

Question: does the bug manifest itself only in KDE apps or in others?

Ctrl+c should also copy to clipboard in, say, firefox, if you have it
installed. Does it do the same thing? If yes: do you have another WM
installed and can you try running firefox under the other WM to see if
it behaves similarly? This should help figure out whether it is a KDE
issue or an X issue.

If you open an xterm, and hit Ctrl+c, does it reboot X (a long shot,
but if it does happens, it means something else is grabbing the event
and passing it up before the xterm sees it and passes it to the shell
in it)?

Also, what is in your ~/.xinitrc?

"If your're scattering a fly off an elephant, you don't worry about the mass of
the elephant. But since we're physicists, lets consider the alternate example.
In this case, we scatter the elephant off the fly."
~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 791 days, 17:26