Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
"Arttu V."

Default Ctrl+c kills KOrganizer 4.2 when it should copy text

Hello,

I'm currently googling around for some insight into an extremely
annoying feature (or a bug?) which appeared with KDE 4.2, and/or the
xorg-server upgrade to 1.5.3-r2 that I did along with the kde upgrade.
The problem reveals itself when I press ctrl+c in some KDE
applications and that it turn kills/exits kde/X.

For example, KOrganizer edit menus still show shortcuts for copy,
paste, etc as ctrl+something (ctrl+c for copy). However, when I'm
adding a new event or todo and press ctrl+c to copy some text around
-- boom, X closes itself and I'm back to the text console (I use
startx from the text console, not graphical login screens).

Last time that happened was 15 minutes ago. Sometimes the crash takes
keyboard and mouse with it so that even the text console doesn't have
them any more (wtf?). So, maybe this has something to do with the new
evdev? Or klipper the copy-paster utility? Anyway, system messages and
Xorg.logs don't indicate any error there, latter just reports that
evdev modules got cleanly unloaded.

I think the same has been happening at least with Konqueror and Kmail
as well, not sure about other apps, since I haven't done any rigorous
tests across kde apps, just tried to use the ones I'm used to.

Any insight on where to start looking for the problem (and especially
solution) is most welcome, including pointing out stupid newbie
mistakes. I hadn't had to modify xorg.conf for nearly three years
(IIRC) until the new, shiny and "better" evdev-stuff in new
xorg-server required me to re-hack the conf file to get my keyboard
and USB-mouse to be recognized at all.

Thanks in advance!

--
Arttu V.