Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default Why does VMWare 6.5 ask for vmware-config.pl?

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 08:44 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:21:35 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > look at the output of
> >
> > equery files vmware-workstation
> >
> > if vmware-config.pl isn't there, and it should be .... you have a buggy
> > ebuild

It isn't in the equery output.

> vmware-config is no more with 6.5. I've not had to reconfigure the
> network, but rebuilding the modules after a kernel change is done by
> emerging vmware-modules. vmware-netcfg may do what you need, it looks as
> though they make have split it into separate tools.

OK, so the question is why does VMWare not "work", ie. it still asks for
vmware-config.pl and doesn't run.

I recompiled vmware-modules, I've made sure /usr/src/linux points at my
current kernel.

$ sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start
Password:
* Starting VMware services: [ ok ]
* Virtual machine monitor [ ok ]
* Virtual machine communication interface [ ok ]
* Blocking file system [ ok ]
* Virtual ethernet [ ok ]
* Shared Memory Available [ ok ]

$ vmware
Logging to /tmp/vmware-iain/setup-6256.log
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28-tuxonice-r1/misc/vmmon.ko
license: GPL v2
author: VMware, Inc.
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.28-tuxonice-r1 SMP preempt mod_unload CORE2
4KSTACKS
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28-tuxonice-r1/misc/vmnet.ko
license: GPL v2
author: VMware, Inc.
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.28-tuxonice-r1 SMP preempt mod_unload CORE2
4KSTACKS
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28-tuxonice-r1/misc/vmblock.ko
version: 1.1.2.0
license: GPL v2
author: VMware, Inc.
srcversion: 768B08090715A2D8C721BF3
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.28-tuxonice-r1 SMP preempt mod_unload CORE2
4KSTACKS
parm: root:The directory the file system redirects to. (charp)
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28-tuxonice-r1/misc/vmci.ko
license: GPL v2
author: VMware, Inc.
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.28-tuxonice-r1 SMP preempt mod_unload CORE2
4KSTACKS
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28-tuxonice-r1/misc/vsock.ko
license: GPL v2
version: 1.0.0.0
author: VMware, Inc.
srcversion: EC2E0BE1F6FB039D1109ADB
depends: vmci
vermagic: 2.6.28-tuxonice-r1 SMP preempt mod_unload CORE2
4KSTACKS
filename: /lib/modules/2.6.28-tuxonice-r1/misc/vmmon.ko
license: GPL v2
author: VMware, Inc.
depends:
vermagic: 2.6.28-tuxonice-r1 SMP preempt mod_unload CORE2
4KSTACKS

Then the workstation window opens to my virtual machine. I click "Run"
and I get this message on the terminal while the VM has a black screen:

VMware Workstation Error:
VMware Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly)
configured for your running kernel. To (re-)configure it, your system
administrator must find and run "vmware-config.pl". For more
information, please see the VMware Workstation documentation.

Press "Enter" to continue...

after pressing enter in the terminal, a popup appears on the gui:

Unable to change virtual machine power state: VMware Workstation cannot
connect to the virtual machine. Make sure you have rights to run the
program and to access all directories it uses and rights to access all
directories for temporary files..

When I press OK, the VM returns to the overview screen. Strangely, I
can't edit any of the VM settings. I have rw permission on the entire
directory and files containing the VM, and I'm in the vmware group.

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

An empty cab drove up and Sarah Bernhardt got out. -Arthur Baer,
American comic and columnist