Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
sean

Default Flash Drive Install

Once you go through the steps instructed here,
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

Can the live CD install be altered to work just like a normal Gentoo system?
I have managed to get my hands on a 16GB flash drive, and am thinking of
trying it out.

Thanks
Sean

Old 02-06-2009, 04:01 PM
James

sean <tech.junk <at> myfairpoint.net> writes:

> Once you go through the steps instructed here,
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml

cool

> Can the live CD install be altered to work just like a normal Gentoo system?
> I have managed to get my hands on a 16GB flash drive, and am thinking of
> trying it out.

Dunno, but give it a shot.

I use 4GB CF cards with CF to ide converters, and it works like a charm.
They've been up for 6 months, with no issues.

Caveats:
use ext2

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext2 noatime 0 1

do not log, or use things that generate lots of writes. If you must,
NFS mount a remote HD for all of that. After every emerge remove
all that is not necessary from the system (examples):
/use/portage/distfile and /var/tmp/portage. and /tmp.

Keep the system/packages minimal.

make.conf:
CFLAGS="-Os -march=i586 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

USE="-* -nls hardened ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl pcre

Notice the -Os and the -*, as they are the key.

Keep room in /boot/ for several kernels, because kernel size
minimization really helps performance.

*LESS is better*

If you are looking at a install for a workstation, google
"gentoo catalyst" for ideas.

If you come up with more/better tips, post back to the thread.

goodluck,

James

Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
sean

James wrote:

> If you come up with more/better tips, post back to the thread.
>
> goodluck,
>

> James

I did come across this site, http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ and tried out
the Gentoo install using Windows.
Amazingly easy.

On bootup it is asking for a login and password, I do not know what the
default is for the live CD, so I just left login and password as blank.
Logs in without problem.

Did "CTL/ALT/F1 to get to a prompt and set a root password, and then
back into the GUI using CTL/ALT/F7 to get back in and all seems OK.

Took a quick look at the make.conf and it shows the standard message
that I am working using the Live CD and not to make changes there.

Not much else yet tried.

Have Fun,
Sean

Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 17:01 +0000, James wrote:
> sean <tech.junk <at> myfairpoint.net> writes:
>

> > Once you go through the steps instructed here,
> > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
>
> cool

Also see my blog
http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2008/06/gentoo-linux-live-usb-key.html
which has an easy way of creating a gentoo live usb key (if that's what
you wanted). It works really well with modern hardware.

> > Can the live CD install be altered to work just like a normal Gentoo system?
> > I have managed to get my hands on a 16GB flash drive, and am thinking of
> > trying it out.

Just be mindful of James' comment about lots of writes!

There is no sadder sight than a young pessimist.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
sean

Iain Buchanan wrote:

> Just be mindful of James' comment about lots of writes!

It is more of a curiosity project.