Old 02-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Jon Hardcastle

Default accessing a bash

Hey guys.. random Linux question.

If i have a bash process running on my machine that i am not 'attatched' to is there anyway to access it and see what it is doing short of just killing it?

Thanks.

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@eHardcastle.com
'..Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.'
-----------------------

Old 02-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
> Hey guys.. random Linux question.
>
> If i have a bash process running on my machine that i am not 'attatched' to
> is there anyway to access it and see what it is doing short of just killing
> it?

open files: lsof
everything else: strace

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Andrey Falko

If i have a bash process running on my machine that i am not 'attatched' to is there anyway to access it and see what it is doing short of just killing it?

*
Thanks.
See if it has a parent process by running pstree. It could be that you ran something in console or that you su-ed at some other instance.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Jon Hardcastle wrote:

Hey guys.. random Linux question.

If i have a bash process running on my machine that i am not 'attatched' to is there anyway to access it and see what it is doing short of just killing it?

Thanks.

Give us the output of "ps aux | grep bash" and we might be able to tell
what it does.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Dan Wallis

On 05/02/2009, Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey guys.. random Linux question.
>
> If i have a bash process running on my machine that i am not 'attatched' to
> is there anyway to access it and see what it is doing short of just killing
> it?

Take a look at app-misc/screen. Although you do need to remember to
start things inside a screen to begin with.