Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Iain Buchanan

Default Where has vmware-config.pl gone?

Hi all,

I just upgraded from vmware-workstation vmware-workstation-6.0.5.109488
to vmware-workstation-6.5.1.126130 as I'm upgrading kernels, modules,
etc, and the old faithful 6.0.5 version has been hard masked...

I get the usual:

VMware Workstation Error:
VMware Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly)
configured for your running kernel. To (re-)configure it, your system
administrator must find and run "vmware-config.pl". For more
information, please see the VMware Workstation documentation.

But for the life of me I can't find vmware-config.pl. slocate returns
nothing. Google isn't helpful either. The emerge log mentioned `emerge
--config vmware-workstation` which output this:

Configuring pkg...

Network settings database seems to be invalid,configuring default
settings
Configuring Bridged network vmnet0
Configuring hostonly network vmnet1, probing for unused subnet ...
Configuring NAT network vmnet8, probing for unused subnet ...
Configured default networks - Bridged, Hostonly, NAT

But vmware still complains about vmware-config.pl

Any ideas?

thanks,

What makes us so bitter against people who outwit us is that they think
themselves cleverer than we are.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Mark Knecht

updatedb and then slocate?

I'm running the server, not the workstation. For me the path is

/opt/vmware/server/bin/vmware-config.pl

Hope this helps,
Mark

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just upgraded from vmware-workstation vmware-workstation-6.0.5.109488
> to vmware-workstation-6.5.1.126130 as I'm upgrading kernels, modules,
> etc, and the old faithful 6.0.5 version has been hard masked...
>
> I get the usual:
>
> VMware Workstation Error:
> VMware Workstation is installed, but it has not been (correctly)
> configured for your running kernel. To (re-)configure it, your system
> administrator must find and run "vmware-config.pl". For more
> information, please see the VMware Workstation documentation.
>

> But for the life of me I can't find vmware-config.pl. slocate returns
> nothing. Google isn't helpful either. The emerge log mentioned `emerge
> --config vmware-workstation` which output this:
>
> Configuring pkg...
>
> Network settings database seems to be invalid,configuring default
> settings
> Configuring Bridged network vmnet0
> Configuring hostonly network vmnet1, probing for unused subnet ...
> Configuring NAT network vmnet8, probing for unused subnet ...
> Configured default networks - Bridged, Hostonly, NAT
>
> But vmware still complains about vmware-config.pl
>
> Any ideas?

I think emerge --config is the "gentoo way".

It runs /opt/vmware/workstation/bin/vmware-networks

Here's the snippet from the ebuild:

pkg_config() {
${VM_INSTALL_DIR}/bin/vmware-networks --postinstall ${PN},old,new
}

Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 15:58 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> updatedb and then slocate?

forgot to mention - tried that.

also tried:
$ find /opt/vmware/ -name vmware-config
/opt/vmware/workstation/lib/vmware-vix/setup/vmware-config
/opt/vmware/workstation/lib/vmware/setup/vmware-config

neither seems right.

> I'm running the server, not the workstation. For me the path is
>
> /opt/vmware/server/bin/vmware-config.pl

not so when I swap server for workstation...

thanks,

Anthony's Law of the Workshop:
Any tool when dropped, will roll into the least accessible
corner of the workshop.

Corollary:
On the way to the corner, any dropped tool will first strike
your toes.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 18:15 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > The emerge log mentioned `emerge
> > --config vmware-workstation` which output this:

[snip]

> > But vmware still complains about vmware-config.pl
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> I think emerge --config is the "gentoo way".
>
> It runs /opt/vmware/workstation/bin/vmware-networks
>
> Here's the snippet from the ebuild:
>
> pkg_config() {
> ${VM_INSTALL_DIR}/bin/vmware-networks --postinstall ${PN},old,new
> }

It doesn't seem to do what vmware-config used to do, and if it was a
replacement for vmware-config, why would VMWware still reference
vmware-config.pl?

Any ideas on using vmware-networks to reconfigure my, er, vmware
networks? It doesn't seem prompt-driven like vmware-config used to be
either... (Yes I've looked at the --help option).

thanks,

Patch griefs with proverbs.
-- William Shakespeare, "Much Ado About Nothing"

Old 02-05-2009, 05:21 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 05 February 2009 06:08:41 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> It doesn't seem to do what vmware-config used to do, and if it was a
> replacement for vmware-config, why would VMWware still reference
> vmware-config.pl?

look at the output of

equery files vmware-workstation

if vmware-config.pl isn't there, and it should be .... you have a buggy ebuild

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:21:35 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> look at the output of
>
> equery files vmware-workstation
>
> if vmware-config.pl isn't there, and it should be .... you have a buggy
> ebuild

vmware-config is no more with 6.5. I've not had to reconfigure the
network, but rebuilding the modules after a kernel change is done by
emerging vmware-modules. vmware-netcfg may do what you need, it looks as
though they make have split it into separate tools.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 22: Childproof