Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Jesús Guerrero

Default Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for yoursystem' -- huh?

El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 16:39, Prado, Renato (R.P.) escribió:
>> My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
>> optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
>> optimiziations that gentoo allows?
> Thinking about that... I guess a could future for future portage
> releases would be a USE flag the overrides the system's CFLAGS (besides
> -march) to what the package maintainer recommends. This would be
> interesting for processor-intensive stuff, like ffmpeg for example. This
> would also allow users to try some more dangerous flags only for packages
> were they are known to be safe.

Unless you mean a different thing, that can be achieved and
is already done in some packages. For example, mplayer has a
USE flag called custom-cflags which freely allow you to break
it as much as you want.

And if an ebuild bothers you filtering flags, you can always overlay
it and remove the filters. If you can't do that, you definitely
don't qualify to break your CFLAGS.

--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
"Prado, Renato (R.P.)"

>Unless you mean a different thing, that can be achieved and
>is already done in some packages. For example, mplayer has a
>USE flag called custom-cflags which freely allow you to break
>it as much as you want.

What I meant was something like this: supposed that the maintainer of a
particular package knows the -O3 causes a massive performance increase
(just an example, I know that usually -03 only gives marginally better
performance and that it can even make stuff slower), if the user has the
"simmonsays" USE flag enabled, that package will be built with -03,
respecting the users' -march setting but overriding -On.

Developing the idea, there could be a "performance" and a "stability"
USE flags, that would use the recommended CFLAGS for each package, some
sort of "automated ricing" ;-)