Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Yannick Mortier

Default Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for yoursystem" -- huh?

2009/2/4 Prado, Renato (R.P.) <rprado@visteon.com>:
>> My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
>> optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
>> optimiziations that gentoo allows?
> Thinking about that... I guess a could future for future portage
> releases would be a USE flag the overrides the system's CFLAGS (besides
> -march) to what the package maintainer recommends. This would be
> interesting for processor-intensive stuff, like ffmpeg for example. This
> would also allow users to try some more dangerous flags only for
> packages were they are known to be safe.

I have -march=amdfam10 (Phenom) and I once watched the compilation of
ffmpeg and it said something like "CPU family amdfam10 unknown" and it
changed some of the CFLAGS (I can't remember which exactly) so I guess
something like this is already somewhere under the hood.

But I agree that a USE-Flag to decide over this behaviour would be great.

--
Currently developing a browsergame...
http://www.p-game.de

Follow me at twitter!