Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
"Prado, Renato (R.P.)"

Default Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for yoursystem" -- huh?

> My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
> optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
> optimiziations that gentoo allows?
Thinking about that... I guess a could future for future portage
releases would be a USE flag the overrides the system's CFLAGS (besides
-march) to what the package maintainer recommends. This would be
interesting for processor-intensive stuff, like ffmpeg for example. This
would also allow users to try some more dangerous flags only for
packages were they are known to be safe.