Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't find everything

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:32:15 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
> once in awhile.

Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
interim?

No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm warning you! One step closer and I'll drop carrier!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Grant

>> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
>> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
>> once in awhile.
>
> Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
> that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
> dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
> interim?
>
> No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
> packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.

I added:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"

to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
result is the same.

Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
it, I get errors starting with:

sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory

- Grant

Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
>>> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
>>> once in awhile.
>>
>> Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
>> that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
>> dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
>> interim?
>>
>> No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
>> packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.
>
> I added:
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"
>
> to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
> stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
> 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
> 'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
> rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
> result is the same.
>
> Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
> it, I get errors starting with:
>
> sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory

Yeah... removing all those bdeps is probably not a good idea. Plus,
they'll just have to be re-emerged next time you emerge anything that
needs them.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Dale

Grant wrote:
>>> When this was asked a few weeks ago someone then asked why
>>> --with-bdeps Y isn't the default? This seems to burn nearly everyone
>>> once in awhile.
>>>
>> Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
>> that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
>> dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
>> interim?
>>
>> No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
>> packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.
>>

> I added:
>
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"
>
> to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
> stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
> 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
> 'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
> rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
> result is the same.
>
> Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
> it, I get errors starting with:
>
> sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory
>
> - Grant

This may help.

root@smoker / # equery belongs /usr/bin/unlzma
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/unlzma in *... ]
app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7 (/usr/bin/unlzma -> lzma)
root@smoker / #

I would rebuild that or see why it is not already installed. I would
think that would be part of system??? I'm not sure tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Because using --with-bdeps y causes unnecessary compilation of packages
>>> that don't need t0 be changed. They won't be used again until the
>>> dependent package is updated, so why waste time rebuilding them in the
>>> interim?
>>>
>>> No one really gets "burned" by this, they just wonder why installed
>>> packages aren't upgraded, nothing stops working.
>>>

>> I added:
>>
>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"
>>
>> to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
>> stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
>> 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
>> 'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
>> rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
>> result is the same.
>>
>> Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
>> it, I get errors starting with:
>>
>> sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> This may help.
>
> root@smoker / # equery belongs /usr/bin/unlzma
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/unlzma in *... ]
> app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7 (/usr/bin/unlzma -> lzma)
> root@smoker / #
>
> I would rebuild that or see why it is not already installed. I would
> think that would be part of system??? I'm not sure tho.

I seem to recall some switch from LZMA to BZ2 manpages in an
etc-update recently ...

Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Grant

>>> I added:
>>>
>>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps n"
>>>
>>> to make.conf and ran 'emerge --depclean' and it got rid of a bunch of
>>> stuff, but I'm still confused by boost. --depclean didn't remove it,
>>> 'emerge -avDuN world' doesn't downgrade it even --with-bdeps y, but
>>> 'emerge -pv boost' would downgrade it. I also re-emerged twinkle and
>>> rb_libtorrent which are the packages that depend on boost, but the
>>> result is the same.
>>>
>>> Also man seems to be broken after that --depclean. When I try to use
>>> it, I get errors starting with:
>>>
>>> sh: /usr/bin/unlzma: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> This may help.
>>
>> root@smoker / # equery belongs /usr/bin/unlzma
>> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/unlzma in *... ]
>> app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7 (/usr/bin/unlzma -> lzma)
>> root@smoker / #
>>
>> I would rebuild that or see why it is not already installed. I would
>> think that would be part of system??? I'm not sure tho.
>
> I seem to recall some switch from LZMA to BZ2 manpages in an
> etc-update recently ...

emerging lzma-utils fixed it, thank you. I always etc-update as soon
as the packages are built. Should lzma-utils be a dependency of
something?

- Grant

Old 02-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Grant

>>> This may help.
>>>
>>> root@smoker / # equery belongs /usr/bin/unlzma
>>> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/unlzma in *... ]
>>> app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7 (/usr/bin/unlzma -> lzma)
>>> root@smoker / #
>>>
>>> I would rebuild that or see why it is not already installed. I would
>>> think that would be part of system??? I'm not sure tho.
>>
>> I seem to recall some switch from LZMA to BZ2 manpages in an
>> etc-update recently ...
>
> emerging lzma-utils fixed it, thank you. I always etc-update as soon
> as the packages are built. Should lzma-utils be a dependency of
> something?
>
> - Grant

Weird, --depclean wants to remove lzma-utils again even though:

# equery depends lzma-utils
[ Searching for packages depending on lzma-utils... ]
dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
media-libs/libpng-1.2.34 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
media-libs/netpbm-10.44.00-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
net-dns/dnsmasq-2.45 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
net-misc/netkit-rsh-0.17-r9 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20071202044231-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
sys-devel/m4-1.4.11 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5 (app-arch/lzma-utils)

Maybe it's listed as a build-time dependency of coreutils when it
should be runtime?

- Grant

Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I seem to recall some switch from LZMA to BZ2 manpages in an
>>> etc-update recently ...
>>
>> emerging lzma-utils fixed it, thank you. I always etc-update as soon
>> as the packages are built. Should lzma-utils be a dependency of
>> something?
>>
>> - Grant
>
> Weird, --depclean wants to remove lzma-utils again even though:
>
> # equery depends lzma-utils
> [ Searching for packages depending on lzma-utils... ]
> dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> media-libs/libpng-1.2.34 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> media-libs/netpbm-10.44.00-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> net-dns/dnsmasq-2.45 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> net-misc/netkit-rsh-0.17-r9 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20071202044231-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> sys-devel/m4-1.4.11 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
> sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>
> Maybe it's listed as a build-time dependency of coreutils when it
> should be runtime?
>
> - Grant

coreutils is an lzma archive, so lzma-utils are required to decompress
it. So it seems proper that it's a build-time dep.

I think there was something about man using lzma IF you had lzma-utils
installed at the time of emerging man. So maybe you can try to unmerge
lzma-utils, then re-emerge man (and maybe convert your lzma manpages
to bz2).

Also be sure you've got PORTAGE_COMPRESS set to what you'd like in
your make.conf

Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Grant

>>> emerging lzma-utils fixed it, thank you. I always etc-update as soon
>>> as the packages are built. Should lzma-utils be a dependency of
>>> something?
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> Weird, --depclean wants to remove lzma-utils again even though:
>>
>> # equery depends lzma-utils
>> [ Searching for packages depending on lzma-utils... ]
>> dev-libs/mpfr-2.3.2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> media-libs/libpng-1.2.34 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> media-libs/netpbm-10.44.00-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> net-dns/dnsmasq-2.45 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> net-misc/netkit-rsh-0.17-r9 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-apps/net-tools-1.60_p20071202044231-r1 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-devel/m4-1.4.11 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>> sys-libs/gpm-1.20.5 (app-arch/lzma-utils)
>>
>> Maybe it's listed as a build-time dependency of coreutils when it
>> should be runtime?
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> coreutils is an lzma archive, so lzma-utils are required to decompress
> it. So it seems proper that it's a build-time dep.
>
> I think there was something about man using lzma IF you had lzma-utils
> installed at the time of emerging man. So maybe you can try to unmerge
> lzma-utils, then re-emerge man (and maybe convert your lzma manpages
> to bz2).

man seems to be working fine without lzma-utils now. It looks like I
emerged help2man at some point yesterday so maybe that helped.

I think I've gotten to the bottom of my boost problem. I have
rb_libtorrent installed which requires >=dev-libs/boost-1.35, meaning
boost needs to be in package.keywords. If I remove boost from
package.keywords, should portage tell me there is a problem? I like
the idea of being able to edit package.keywords and know that portage
will either upgrade/downgrade based on the changes, or tell me if
there is a depended-on package installed which doesn't have the
necessary package.keywords entry.

- Grant

Old 02-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> I think I've gotten to the bottom of my boost problem. I have
> rb_libtorrent installed which requires >=dev-libs/boost-1.35, meaning
> boost needs to be in package.keywords. If I remove boost from
> package.keywords, should portage tell me there is a problem? I like
> the idea of being able to edit package.keywords and know that portage
> will either upgrade/downgrade based on the changes, or tell me if
> there is a depended-on package installed which doesn't have the
> necessary package.keywords entry.
>
> - Grant

It should. I often play with package.keywords and package.use to see
what the effects might be. You can always set them back.

HTH,
Mark