Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

Default DVD RW (recommendations

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:04:37 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:

> Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
> the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
> would recommend?

I have an Optimax SATA DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVD-RAM drive that cost about £18 a
year ago.

--
Neil Bothwick

Nymphomania-- an illness you hear about but never encounter.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> SATA or Eide on DVD rw choices (internal unit).
>
> Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
> the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
> would recommend?
>
> Any bands (plextor?) to avoid on gentoo?

I think they should mostly be the same these days... Mine is a SATA
Sony Optiarc (formerly NEC) AWG170S and I think it's probably around
$20 USD now. Works fine for me since 2007. If you want to do any
exotic stuff with hidden tracks on audio CDs, overburning, etc then
you need to find specific drives... but I think for burning normal
data discs most of the cheap drives now support every format.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 PM

James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> SATA or Eide on DVD rw choices (internal unit).

Does Linux support ATAPI for your SATA interface?

> Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
> the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
> would recommend?
>
> Any bands (plextor?) to avoid on gentoo?

How abot looking for well known brands like Pioneer and Optiarc?

There are also TSST and HLDST

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)

Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Yannick Mortier

2009/2/3 James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com>:
> Hello
>
> SATA or Eide on DVD rw choices (internal unit).
>
> Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
> the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
> would recommend?
>
> Any bands (plextor?) to avoid on gentoo?
>

> James

Hi James!
I use LG burners for every pc and I'm very happy with them. They seem
to be very compatible (at least they burned every DVD my friends
brought to me and they get trademarks that I never saw before...) and
also have good test results.

For the decision between S-ATA and IDE: I can recommend using S-ATA.
One reason is that most boards have got only one IDE Channel left,
second reason is the S-ATA cable is smaller though the air can pass
easier through the pc and third they start to be cheaper than the IDE
ones.

--
Currently developing a browsergame...
http://www.p-game.de

Follow me at twitter!
http://twitter.com/moortier

Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

James wrote:
Hello

SATA or Eide on DVD rw choices (internal unit).

Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
would recommend?

Any bands (plextor?) to avoid on gentoo?

Instead of recommending what I have, I'll recommend what disc burning
lunatics recommend (the folks from cdfreaks.com for example): The LG LS
GH20LS15 is an excellent burner with very good write quality (read: your
discs will live longer). It's a CD/DVD+R/DVD-R/Dual Layer combo burner.
It's also very cheap (16 bucks here; that is Euros). It's a SATA drive.

If you can't find the exact model, any LG model with "GH20" in the name
will do. Make sure NOT to get a "GH22" model (like GH22LS30). Those
have poor write quality due to a different chipset that doesn't perform
well.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Hung Dang

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> James wrote:
>> Hello
>> SATA or Eide on DVD rw choices (internal unit).
>>
>> Any cheap DVD rw that have success writing to
>> the many forms of rw DVDS, that one
>> would recommend?
>>
>> Any bands (plextor?) to avoid on gentoo?
>
> Instead of recommending what I have, I'll recommend what disc burning
> lunatics recommend (the folks from cdfreaks.com for example): The LG
> LS GH20LS15 is an excellent burner with very good write quality (read:
> your discs will live longer). It's a CD/DVD+R/DVD-R/Dual Layer combo
> burner. It's also very cheap (16 bucks here; that is Euros). It's a
> SATA drive.
>
> If you can't find the exact model, any LG model with "GH20" in the
> name will do. Make sure NOT to get a "GH22" model (like GH22LS30).
> Those have poor write quality due to a different chipset that doesn't
> perform well.

Check this link to find out which DVD-RW is suit for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005%201036506 653&name=DVD%20Burner
I use this DVD burner
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129023) in an
external box and have no complain about it.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 AM
james

Hung Dang <hungptit <at> gmail.com> writes:

Thanks for all of the input!
I got plenty of good information, to
make several purchases.....

Googling, I did read about some problems with the
latest drives from plextor, (not verified by me though).

ciao,

James

Old 02-04-2009, 12:27 PM

james <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Googling, I did read about some problems with the
> latest drives from plextor, (not verified by me though).

Plextor stopped making drives several years ago and fired all
related technical employees.

They now sell relabelled drives from other manufacturers.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)