Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Dirk Uys

Default KDE4.2 compile problem

Hi

I'm trying to emerge kde-4.2, but the kde-base/systemsettings-4.2.0
ebuild fails:

Scanning dependencies of target kdeinit_kxkb
[ 23%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kdeinit_kxkb_automoc.o
[ 24%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/rules.o
Linking CXX shared module ../../lib/kcm_keyboard_layout.so
CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard_layout.dir/x11helper.o: In function
`X11Helper::registerForNewDeviceEvent(_XDisplay*)' :
x11helper.cpp.text+0x21): undefined reference to
`_XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent(_XDisplay*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [lib/kcm_keyboard_layout.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard_layout.dir/all]
Error 2
[ 24%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbconfig.o
[ 24%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/extension.o
[ 25%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/x11helper.o
[ 25%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/pixmap.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/xklavier_adaptor.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbcore.o
[ 27%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/layoutmap.o
[ 27%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbapp.o
[ 27%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbwidget.o
[ 28%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkb_adaptor.o
[ 28%] Building CXX object
kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkb_part.o
/var/tmp/portage/kde-base/systemsettings-4.2.0/work/systemsettings-4.2.0/kcontrol/kxkb/kxkb_part.cpp:37:
warning: unused parameter 'args'
Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libkdeinit4_kxkb.so
CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/x11helper.o: In function
`X11Helper::registerForNewDeviceEvent(_XDisplay*)' :
x11helper.cpp.text+0x21): undefined reference to
`_XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent(_XDisplay*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [lib/libkdeinit4_kxkb.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have the latest version of libXi (1.2.0). I tried searching the net,
but the only answer I got was that some guy on the kde forums had the
same problem and resolved it by installing the latest version of libXi
from the repository.

Have anyone else successfully built kde4.2?

Regards
Dirk

Old 02-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Dirk Uys wrote:

[...]
Have anyone else successfully built kde4.2?

No problems here on AMD64. I didn't use anything outside portage.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Jerry McBride

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 12:53:22 am Dirk Uys wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to emerge kde-4.2, but the kde-base/systemsettings-4.2.0
> ebuild fails:
>
> Scanning dependencies of target kdeinit_kxkb
> [ 23%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kdeinit_kxkb_automoc.o
> [ 24%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/rules.o
> Linking CXX shared module ../../lib/kcm_keyboard_layout.so
> CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard_layout.dir/x11helper.o: In function
> `X11Helper::registerForNewDeviceEvent(_XDisplay*)' :
> x11helper.cpp.text+0x21): undefined reference to
> `_XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent(_XDisplay*)'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [lib/kcm_keyboard_layout.so] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kcm_keyboard_layout.dir/all]
> Error 2
> [ 24%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbconfig.o
> [ 24%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/extension.o
> [ 25%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/x11helper.o
> [ 25%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/pixmap.o
> [ 26%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/xklavier_adaptor.o
> [ 26%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbcore.o
> [ 27%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/layoutmap.o
> [ 27%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbapp.o
> [ 27%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkbwidget.o
> [ 28%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkb_adaptor.o
> [ 28%] Building CXX object
> kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/kxkb_part.o
> /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/systemsettings-4.2.0/work/systemsettings-4.2.0/kc
>ontrol/kxkb/kxkb_part.cpp:37: warning: unused parameter 'args'
> Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libkdeinit4_kxkb.so
> CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/x11helper.o: In function
> `X11Helper::registerForNewDeviceEvent(_XDisplay*)' :
> x11helper.cpp.text+0x21): undefined reference to
> `_XiGetDevicePresenceNotifyEvent(_XDisplay*)'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [lib/libkdeinit4_kxkb.so] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [kcontrol/kxkb/CMakeFiles/kdeinit_kxkb.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I have the latest version of libXi (1.2.0). I tried searching the net,
> but the only answer I got was that some guy on the kde forums had the
> same problem and resolved it by installing the latest version of libXi
> from the repository.
>
> Have anyone else successfully built kde4.2?
>
> Regards
> Dirk

It compiled with zero errors on a 32bit x86 with the necessary ebuilds
autounmasked. If you need more info, feel free to email me direct.

--

************************************************** ***************************

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

06:37:10 up 48 days, 12:43, 5 users, load average: 2.87, 1.30, 0.49

************************************************** ***************************

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM
"Arttu V."

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 07:53:22 Dirk Uys wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to emerge kde-4.2, but the kde-base/systemsettings-4.2.0
> ebuild fails:

<snip/>

> Have anyone else successfully built kde4.2?

Three systems so far, one x86, two amd64. Every single one failed to emerge
kde 4.2 cleanly in a single run, but subsequently now has it.

What I mostly did was just restarted emerge -- and it would have the packages
in different order and pass the problem spot a few packages later without the
problems showing up any more. Having kde 4.1 stuff on the background
cluttering up my system might have had an effect on this.

I don't know if I ran into your specific problem, just restarting emerge fixed
most stuff for me. I did run into a hell of a problem with Xorg after
successfully emerging kde 4.2, but that was due to the upgraded unstable xorg-
server 1.5.3 evdev not liking my xorg.conf -- and me not having cared to
explore the evdev-stuff before being thus forced to.

No keyboard and no mouse makes using kde 4.2 even worse than kde 4.1 *with*
keyboard and mouse.

--
Arttu V.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 06:53:22 Dirk Uys wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to emerge kde-4.2, but the kde-base/systemsettings-4.2.0
> ebuild fails:

<snipped>

> I have the latest version of libXi (1.2.0). I tried searching the net,
> but the only answer I got was that some guy on the kde forums had the
> same problem and resolved it by installing the latest version of libXi
> from the repository.
>
> Have anyone else successfully built kde4.2?

Today succesfully installed kde4.2 on amd64.
I first removed my old KDE completely and then installed it on a clean system.

Only reinstalling the old kde libs for programs that have not yet been ported
to kde4.2.

Not run into any problems so far. Did have to unmask (~amd64) quite a few
packages to get it to install.

--
Joost

Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Dirk Uys

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:

> Today succesfully installed kde4.2 on amd64.
> I first removed my old KDE completely and then installed it on a clean system.
>
> Only reinstalling the old kde libs for programs that have not yet been ported
> to kde4.2.
>
> Not run into any problems so far. Did have to unmask (~amd64) quite a few
> packages to get it to install.
>
> --
> Joost

I should have mentioned in my original email that I run ~x86 and that
I upgraded from KDE4.1. I had a few blockers which I had to emerge -C,
but other than that, everything except the systemsetting and startkde
package emerge fine.

I tried looking at the order of the emerges, but nothing seems out of
the ordinary as far as my knowledge goes. I tried rebuilding the
dependacies of systemsettings, but that did not resolve the problem.

What can I do about this? No one else seem to have this problem?

Regards
Dirk

Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Christopher Walters

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Norberto Bensa

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote:

> If you need more info, feel free to email me direct.

why?

off-list communications should only be done with off-topic
conversations. If you have a solution for him, you should share it
with the list so others can find solutions to similar problems.

regards

Old 02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
"Joost Roeleveld"

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@antarean.org> wrote:
>>
>> Today succesfully installed kde4.2 on amd64.
>> I first removed my old KDE completely and then installed it on a clean
>> system.
>>
>> Only reinstalling the old kde libs for programs that have not yet been
>> ported
>> to kde4.2.
>>
>> Not run into any problems so far. Did have to unmask (~amd64) quite a
>> few
>> packages to get it to install.
>>
>> --
>> Joost
>>

> I should have mentioned in my original email that I run ~x86 and that
> I upgraded from KDE4.1. I had a few blockers which I had to emerge -C,
> but other than that, everything except the systemsetting and startkde
> package emerge fine.
>
> I tried looking at the order of the emerges, but nothing seems out of
> the ordinary as far as my knowledge goes. I tried rebuilding the
> dependacies of systemsettings, but that did not resolve the problem.
>
> What can I do about this? No one else seem to have this problem?
>
> Regards
> Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Did you try fully removing the entire KDE-chain?
Eg. emerge -C all the kde packages in the /var/lib/portage/world file
and then removing the remaining packages using emerge --depclean ?

This is what I did when moving from 3.5.10 to 4.2.0.

--
Joost

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Jerry McBride

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 05:52:16 am Norberto Bensa wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@comcast.net> wrote:
> > If you need more info, feel free to email me direct.
>
> why?
>
> off-list communications should only be done with off-topic
> conversations. If you have a solution for him, you should share it
> with the list so others can find solutions to similar problems.
>
> regards

Well.. you just answered your own message. I DON'T have an answer, but I'm
willing to answer any questions he may have off line... That was the purpose
of my OP... What's the mystery?

--

From the desk of:
Jerome D. McBride

06:50:28 up 49 days, 12:56, 5 users, load average: 0.16, 0.14, 0.05