Old 02-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Robin Atwood

Default Instaling KDE 4.2, second attempt...

My first attempt at installing KDE 4.2 so trashed my desktop I had to perform
a general restore to remove all traces of it. I have a completely current
3.5.10 system running, so I thought I would get a situation where I could
choose which system to login to. In fact, on my second attempt, I get my
original KDM 3.5 login screen and no new options and when I login I do get my
original desktop environment, albeit with corrupt konqueror tool bars. Any
ideas how to enable KDM 4.2 and get the new desktop?

TIA
-Robin

Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Paul Hartman

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net> wrote:
> My first attempt at installing KDE 4.2 so trashed my desktop I had to perform
> a general restore to remove all traces of it. I have a completely current
> 3.5.10 system running, so I thought I would get a situation where I could
> choose which system to login to. In fact, on my second attempt, I get my
> original KDM 3.5 login screen and no new options and when I login I do get my
> original desktop environment, albeit with corrupt konqueror tool bars. Any
> ideas how to enable KDM 4.2 and get the new desktop?

In my case I uninstalled KDE 3 completely before trying to install KDE
4.2. Also make sure your xdm has kde-4.2 so it uses the new KDM.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Robin Atwood

On Tuesday 03 Feb 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Robin Atwood <robin.atwood@attglobal.net>
wrote:
> > My first attempt at installing KDE 4.2 so trashed my desktop I had to
> > perform a general restore to remove all traces of it. I have a completely
> > current 3.5.10 system running, so I thought I would get a situation where
> > I could choose which system to login to. In fact, on my second attempt, I
> > get my original KDM 3.5 login screen and no new options and when I login
> > I do get my original desktop environment, albeit with corrupt konqueror
> > tool bars. Any ideas how to enable KDM 4.2 and get the new desktop?
>
> In my case I uninstalled KDE 3 completely before trying to install KDE
> 4.2. Also make sure your xdm has kde-4.2 so it uses the new KDM.

No the problem was that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not the same as restarting xdm.
Doing that, I got the new login screen.

-Robin

Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Philip Webb

090203 Robin Atwood wrote:
> I have a completely current 3.5.10 system running, so I thought
> I would get a situation where I could choose which system to login to.
> I get my original KDM 3.5 login screen and no new options
> and when I login I do get my original desktop environment,
> albeit with corrupt konqueror tool bars.
> Any ideas how to enable KDM 4.2 and get the new desktop?

The simple way is to boot into a raw console,
then 'startx' with your choice of ~/.xinitrc .
I would never use a GUI login, it's just another thing to trip you up.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 02-03-2009, 12:56 AM
Robin Atwood

On Tuesday 03 Feb 2009, Robin Atwood wrote:
> No the problem was that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is not the same as restarting
> xdm. Doing that, I got the new login screen.

Next problem. I am compiling @kdepim-4.2 and it fails because it can't find
KdepimLibs_CONFIG. I saw this before with nepomuk. Searching seems to imply
you need >cmake-2.6.2 (I have 2.6.2-r1), so shouldn't everyone hit it? Anyone
any idea about this?

-- Found KDE 4.2 include dir: /usr/include
-- Found KDE 4.2 library dir: /usr/lib64
-- Found the KDE4 kconfig_compiler preprocessor: /usr/bin/kconfig_compiler
-- Found automoc4: /usr/bin/automoc4
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:57
(MESSAGE):
Could NOT find KdepimLibs (missing: KdepimLibs_CONFIG)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/apps/cmake/modules/FindKdepimLibs.cmake:73
(find_package_handle_standard_args)
CMakeLists.txt:17 (find_package)

Robin Atwood