Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Jesús Guerrero

Default CHOST='i486-pc-linux-gnu' ?

El Lun, 2 de Febrero de 2009, 7:12, Grant escribió:
>> But that's the lesser of your problems. If you really meant
>> to install a 64 bits Gentoo, and your make.conf has that CHOST line, that
>> means that you chose the wrong stage3 file, and maybe also the wrong
>> livecd. You need a 64 bits livecd and a 64 bits stage3.
>>

> It's a 32-bit CPU. I'm just confused as to why it doesn't qualify as
> a 686 instead of 486.

It does qualify as 686. Anything from pentium pro and above (if
my memory serves correctly) does qualify as i686. Of course, previous
arches up to i386 will work as well, since the new ones are all
supersets of the original i386 instructions set.

So, you could use either. But i686 will be more optimal.

However, make sure you check the guide if you plan to change
the CHOST. It's not just as straight as changing it on your
make.conf

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml

--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
James

Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It's a 32-bit CPU. I'm just confused as to why it doesn't qualify as
> a 686 instead of 486.

Run:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
to be certain about the cpu. YOu can usually do this with any boot/install
disk, prior to installation.

James