Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Jesús Guerrero

Default CHOST='i486-pc-linux-gnu' ?

El Lun, 2 de Febrero de 2009, 6:54, Grant escribió:
>>> I'm installing Gentoo on an Acer Aspire 110. It's one of the
>>> "netbook" laptops. /etc/make.conf says:
>>>

>>> CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
>>>

>>> Is that correct?
>>>

>> If it's an Intel-compatible (x86) and Gentoo is 32-bit, then yes,
>> that's correct.
>
> OK, does i686 indicate 64-bit?

Nope. i686 is still x86.

But that's the lesser of your problems. If you really meant
to install a 64 bits Gentoo, and your make.conf has that CHOST
line, that means that you chose the wrong stage3 file, and
maybe also the wrong livecd. You need a 64 bits livecd and a
64 bits stage3.

--
Jesús Guerrero

Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Grant

>>> If it's an Intel-compatible (x86) and Gentoo is 32-bit, then yes,
>>> that's correct.
>>
>> OK, does i686 indicate 64-bit?
>
> Nope. i686 is still x86.
>
> But that's the lesser of your problems. If you really meant
> to install a 64 bits Gentoo, and your make.conf has that CHOST
> line, that means that you chose the wrong stage3 file, and
> maybe also the wrong livecd. You need a 64 bits livecd and a
> 64 bits stage3.

It's a 32-bit CPU. I'm just confused as to why it doesn't qualify as
a 686 instead of 486.

- Grant