FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Stroller
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new system
I'm about to install.


Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?

I _think_ it should be just a case of untarring the stage 3, chrooting
in, updating everything to latest & reboot. As long as I use 2.6.28
when I install I don't think there should be anything that is
incompatible with ext4??


Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a
month or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to
ext4 in this way?


Cheers,

Stroller.
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Stroller
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

On 2 Feb 2009, at 04:33, Stroller wrote:
... As long as I use 2.6.28 when I install I don't think there
should be anything that is incompatible with ext4??


I should have added: I plan to use ext3 for my boot partition.

Cheers,

Stroller.
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

Stroller wrote:
For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new system
I'm about to install.


Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?


Yep, SystemRescueCD supports it:

http://www.sysresccd.org

It's even Gentoo-based, what a deal!


I _think_ it should be just a case of untarring the stage 3, chrooting
in, updating everything to latest & reboot. As long as I use 2.6.28 when
I install I don't think there should be anything that is incompatible
with ext4??


Just do whatever you would do with ext3. Nothing fancy required. Of
course fstab needs ext4, not ext3.



Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a month
or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to ext4 in
this way?


The downsides are that you'll end up with missing ext4 features that
will only apply to newly created files after the conversion. I
recommend to just be clean about it and use ext4 from the start.
 
Old 02-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Dale
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

Stroller wrote:
> For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new system
> I'm about to install.
>
> Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?
>
> I _think_ it should be just a case of untarring the stage 3, chrooting
> in, updating everything to latest & reboot. As long as I use 2.6.28
> when I install I don't think there should be anything that is
> incompatible with ext4??
>
> Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a
> month or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to
> ext4 in this way?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stroller.
>
>
>

See if Knoppix supports it yet. If it does, you are good to go.
Anything that is bootable, has chroot and its friends available should
work. It doesn't have to be Gentoo specific.

You could do like I do. I copy everything over to another drive, then
do whatever to my main drive then copy it back. I have done that
several times and it works pretty well.

Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 AM
Stroller
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

On 2 Feb 2009, at 04:50, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Stroller wrote:
For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new
system I'm about to install.

Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?


Yep, SystemRescueCD supports it:

http://www.sysresccd.org

It's even Gentoo-based, what a deal!


Thanks! That sounds great! I know it's possible to install Gentoo
using other LiveCDs, but have always used a Gentoo one in the past,
just because it's been available. Hence I'd be worrying about
incompatibilities when chrooting in, if I used a non-Gentoo one.


Stroller.
 
Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Dirk Heinrichs
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

Am Montag, 2. Februar 2009 06:14:17 schrieb Stroller:

> Hence I'd be worrying about *
> incompatibilities when chrooting in, if I used a non-Gentoo one.

When you're chrooted, you _are_ in a Gentoo system. It doesn't matter what
system you used to unpack that stage tarball before.

I use GRML for doing Gentoo installs. It always worked perfectly fine. As of
2008.11, it even has that nice grml-chroot script which handles all the /proc
and /dev bind-mounting stuff for you. However, it doesn't have ext4 support,
yet.

Bye...

Dirk
 
Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

>> Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a month
>> or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to ext4 in this
>> way?
>
> The downsides are that you'll end up with missing ext4 features that will
> only apply to newly created files after the conversion. I recommend to just
> be clean about it and use ext4 from the start.
>
AFAIK this isn't true. You can 'convert' an ext3 filesystem to ext4
using ext4's defrag utility. See http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds
 
Old 02-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

On Montag 02 Februar 2009, Stroller wrote:
> For more funroll-loopiness I contemplate using ext4 for the new system
> I'm about to install.
>
> Anyone know of any LiveCDs that would support this?
>
> I _think_ it should be just a case of untarring the stage 3, chrooting
> in, updating everything to latest & reboot. As long as I use 2.6.28
> when I install I don't think there should be anything that is
> incompatible with ext4??
>
> Or would I be better off using ext3 and converting it to ext4 in a
> month or two? Are there any downsides to converting a fs from ext3 to
> ext4 in this way?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stroller.

the best thing would be to wait for another year before you even think about
touching that mess.
 
Old 02-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Jesús Guerrero
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

El Dom, 15 de Febrero de 2009, 16:59, Volker Armin Hemmann escribió:
> On Montag 02 Februar 2009, Stroller wrote:
>
> the best thing would be to wait for another year before you even think
> about touching that mess.

If by "that mess" you mean ext4, you should know that it's
just as stable as ext3.

--
Jesús Guerrero
 
Old 02-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Ext4 for a new installation?

On Sonntag 15 Februar 2009, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> El Dom, 15 de Febrero de 2009, 16:59, Volker Armin Hemmann escribió:
> > On Montag 02 Februar 2009, Stroller wrote:
> >
> > the best thing would be to wait for another year before you even think
> > about touching that mess.
>
> If by "that mess" you mean ext4, you should know that it's
> just as stable as ext3.

so ext3 is completly broken? likes to deadlock? and is mostly untested?

ext4 is new. It was just declared stable. It is not. It has to prove itself to
be stable in the next 6 to 12 month. Earlier than that it is not stable.

But if you look at all the problems reported on lkml you should come to the
conclusion, that both ext3 and 4 are unstable. It is just wrong to pile new
features unto an aging platform instead of making the cut, put one into
maintanence mode and start from a clean state. Some did it. extX never did.
With the bad results easily visible for everybody who wants to see.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org