Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Grant

Default CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu" ?

I'm installing Gentoo on an Acer Aspire 110. It's one of the
"netbook" laptops. /etc/make.conf says:

CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"

Is that correct?

- Grant

Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Grant wrote:

I'm installing Gentoo on an Acer Aspire 110. It's one of the
"netbook" laptops. /etc/make.conf says:

CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"

Is that correct?

If it's an Intel-compatible (x86) and Gentoo is 32-bit, then yes, that's
correct.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Grant

>> I'm installing Gentoo on an Acer Aspire 110. It's one of the
>> "netbook" laptops. /etc/make.conf says:
>>
>> CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
>>
>> Is that correct?
>
> If it's an Intel-compatible (x86) and Gentoo is 32-bit, then yes, that's
> correct.

OK, does i686 indicate 64-bit?

- Grant

Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Grant wrote:

I'm installing Gentoo on an Acer Aspire 110. It's one of the
"netbook" laptops. /etc/make.conf says:

CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"

Is that correct?

If it's an Intel-compatible (x86) and Gentoo is 32-bit, then yes, that's
correct.

OK, does i686 indicate 64-bit?

No. 64-bit is "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu". I don't know why you have i486
instead of i686, but I do know that i486 is correct too. If it has any
drawbacks compared to i686, no idea.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Stroller