Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Dale

Default When did bzImage move?

Hi,

I just rebuilt a newer kernel and noticed something. It seems bzImage
has moved from arch/i386/boot/bzImage to arch/x86/boot/bzImage. When
did this happen? Is x86 the same as i386?

I'm just wanting to make sure I am not going to blow up something when I
boot that thing.

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just rebuilt a newer kernel and noticed something. It seems bzImage
> has moved from arch/i386/boot/bzImage to arch/x86/boot/bzImage. When
> did this happen? Is x86 the same as i386?

yes. They merged the '386' and the amd64/x86_64 architecture into x86.

And it happend a couple of kernel versions ago.

> I'm just wanting to make sure I am not going to blow up something when I
> boot that thing.

why do you care anyway? Just install debianutils and use make install.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just rebuilt a newer kernel and noticed something. It seems bzImage
>> has moved from arch/i386/boot/bzImage to arch/x86/boot/bzImage. When
>> did this happen? Is x86 the same as i386?
>>

> yes. They merged the '386' and the amd64/x86_64 architecture into x86.
>
> And it happend a couple of kernel versions ago.

OK. At least I ain't going crazy. Whew, that was close.

>> I'm just wanting to make sure I am not going to blow up something when I
>> boot that thing.
>>

> why do you care anyway? Just install debianutils and use make install.

I like to copy mine manually. I dunno, I just do. I'm weird that way.
I also have a unique way of naming my kernels so I can keep up with
which is which.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I just rebuilt a newer kernel and noticed something. It seems bzImage
> >> has moved from arch/i386/boot/bzImage to arch/x86/boot/bzImage. When
> >> did this happen? Is x86 the same as i386?
> >
> > yes. They merged the '386' and the amd64/x86_64 architecture into x86.
> >
> > And it happend a couple of kernel versions ago.
>
> OK. At least I ain't going crazy. Whew, that was close.
>
> >> I'm just wanting to make sure I am not going to blow up something when I
> >> boot that thing.
> >
> > why do you care anyway? Just install debianutils and use make install.
>
> I like to copy mine manually. I dunno, I just do. I'm weird that way.
> I also have a unique way of naming my kernels so I can keep up with
> which is which.

well, you can always put the name in the config - and let make install do the
copy. That way you get a nice vmlinuz symlink to the latest kernel and
vmlinuz.old to the older one - and you never have to touch grub.conf again.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
>
>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

>>> yes. They merged the '386' and the amd64/x86_64 architecture into x86.
>>>
>>> And it happend a couple of kernel versions ago.
>>>
>> OK. At least I ain't going crazy. Whew, that was close.

>>> why do you care anyway? Just install debianutils and use make install.
>>>
>> I like to copy mine manually. I dunno, I just do. I'm weird that way.
>> I also have a unique way of naming my kernels so I can keep up with
>> which is which.
>>

> well, you can always put the name in the config - and let make install do the
> copy. That way you get a nice vmlinuz symlink to the latest kernel and
> vmlinuz.old to the older one - and you never have to touch grub.conf again.

But that would only allow you to have two kernels laying around. Right
now I have these:

root@smoker / # ls /boot/bzImage-2*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2355440 Jan 31 18:52 /boot/bzImage-2-28-r8-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2460088 Jan 2 20:13 /boot/bzImage-2.6.23-r8-7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2288336 Dec 30 07:49 /boot/bzImage-2.6.27-r7-1
root@smoker / #

I just cleaned it out the other day but sometimes I have 6 or 8 of them
in there, especially when I am testing stuff. Make install just isn't
my cup of tea. Maybe one day. You may also notice it took me 7 tries
on one of them before I got it right. I haven't rebooted yet to test
out the .27 version. It sort of got left out.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 01 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> >> OK. At least I ain't going crazy. Whew, that was close.

> >> I like to copy mine manually. I dunno, I just do. I'm weird that way.
> >> I also have a unique way of naming my kernels so I can keep up with
> >> which is which.
> >
> > well, you can always put the name in the config - and let make install do
> > the copy. That way you get a nice vmlinuz symlink to the latest kernel
> > and vmlinuz.old to the older one - and you never have to touch grub.conf
> > again.
>
> But that would only allow you to have two kernels laying around. Right
> now I have these:

no, you can have as many kernels as you want. But there is a vmlinuz symlink
to the latest and vmlinuz.old symlink to the previous installed one.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 AM
ABCD

Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Dale wrote:

[...]
But that would only allow you to have two kernels laying around. Right
now I have these:

root@smoker / # ls /boot/bzImage-2*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2355440 Jan 31 18:52 /boot/bzImage-2-28-r8-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2460088 Jan 2 20:13 /boot/bzImage-2.6.23-r8-7
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2288336 Dec 30 07:49 /boot/bzImage-2.6.27-r7-1
root@smoker / #

I only use make install and my /boot looks like this:

config -> config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
config-2.6.24-gentoo-r8
config-2.6.27-gentoo-r7
config-2.6.28-gentoo
config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
config.old -> config-2.6.28-gentoo
System.map -> System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
System.map-2.6.24-gentoo-r8
System.map-2.6.27-gentoo-r7
System.map-2.6.28-gentoo
System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
System.map.old -> System.map-2.6.28-gentoo
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
vmlinuz-2.6.24-gentoo-r8
vmlinuz-2.6.27-gentoo-r7
vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo
vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
vmlinuz.old -> vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo

I never changed any filename in there manualy.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:38:48 -0500, ABCD wrote:

> To be precise, the config option CONFIG_LOCALVERSION appends a string to
> the end of the kernel version, which installkernel uses to place the
> kernel image.

You can get the same effect by creating a file called localversion
containing the string to add, which saves altering the kernel config. If
you make this a symlink to .version, you even get it incremented
automatically.

> If /boot/vmlinuz exists, then it is moved to /boot/vmlinuz.old, and a
> *symlink* from /boot/vmlinuz is created to "vmlinuz-${VERSION}". If
> /boot/vmlinuz did *not* exist before installation, then no symlink is
> created.

Instead, vmlinuz-${VERSION} is copied to vmlinuz.

--
Neil Bothwick

like an idiot.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Geralt

Nobody here using the genkernel package to build his kernel? I'm using
it all the time, makes initramfs creation so much easier :-)