Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Dale

Default KDE-4.2 and KDE-3.5

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Dmitry Makovey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was tracking KDE-4.x for a while now while sticking to "stable"
>> KDE-3.5, which in gentoo's case is 3.5.9. Trying to get KDE-4.2
>> installed spits out a blocker:
>>
>> [blocks B ] <=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10
>> ("<=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10" is blocking
>> kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.0)
>>
>> which for me means switching to *2* testing platforms (3.5.10 and
>> 4.2) when I want to test only 1 (4.2).
>>
>> Now my question is: how safe is it to do a workaround, and create
>> local version of kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.0-r1 ebuild (say, -r2) which
>> removes the block and just stick with 3.5.9 on 3.5 side ? I really
>> don't feel like unmasking 3.5.10 builds and building them too.
>>
>> another confusing thing is:
>> !<=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4
>> !<=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10
>> which I read as "you're fine using kde-3.5.9 as long as you don't use
>> startkde". kind of weird.
>
> I know you didn't ask for this answer, but KDE 3.5.10 is *not* masked.
> It's in ~arch. It should be a safe/stable update since it's a bug-fix
> release (and I assume it's the last release of the KDE3 series.)

KDE-3.5.10 has been on here a while and is stable for me at least. I
haven't checked its current status since I have not synced in a while
anyway.

OP, if you have a fairly fast machine, maybe there is some package that
just needs to be recompiled but is getting missed for some reason. I
would try a emerge -e world and see what that does for it. If you still
have the same problem, may need some Raid. If not, well, it works. :-D

Dale

:-)

Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Philip Webb wrote:

090131 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

Dmitry Makovey wrote:
I was tracking KDE-4.x for a while while sticking to "stable" KDE-3.5.,,
Trying to get KDE-4.2 installed spits out a blocker:
[blocks B ] <=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10
("<=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10" is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.0)
which for me means switching to *2* testing platforms (3.5.10 and 4.2)
Now my question is: how safe is it to do a workaround
KDE 3.5.10 is *not* masked. It's in ~arch.
It should be a safe/stable update since it's a bug-fix release

I've been using 3.5.10 since 080924 without any problems:
just update to that & then try emerging 4.2.0 .

My feeling remains that KDE 4 is more eye-candy than useful,

That has always been a goal with KDE anyway. We can't have OS X and
Vista/Windows 7 win those beauty contests, now can we

Anyway, 4.2.0 is what sealed the deal for me. I went back to KDE 3
after trying KDE 4.0. I went again back to 3 after trying the first 4.1
version. And again after the latest 4.1 update (4.1.4). With 4.2.0, it
seems it is a worthy replacement for KDE 3 for me. I didn't login to
KDE 3 since I installed it (2 days ago). I like it, but I hope no
show-stopper shows up :P

Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:09:12 -0700 (MST), Dmitry Makovey wrote:

> Now my question is: how safe is it to do a workaround, and create local
> version of kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.0-r1 ebuild (say, -r2) which removes
> the block and just stick with 3.5.9 on 3.5 side ? I really don't feel
> like unmasking 3.5.10 builds and building them too.

The devs put that block on for a reason. You are free to remove it safe in
the knowledge that you can claim sole responsibility for all the broken
pieces. This seems a lot more risky than running a well-tested ~arch
package.

> another confusing thing is:
> !<=kde-base/kdebase-3.5.9-r4
> !<=kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.10
> which I read as "you're fine using kde-3.5.9 as long as you don't use
> startkde". kind of weird.

Not at all. All versions of startkde older than 3.5.10-r1 cause a
problem with KDE4. Using a more recent version or no version at all.
Some people may have their own custom KDE startup scripts.

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.