Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Saphirus Sage

Default wicd manager on xfce4 not detecting wireless interfaces

On Jan 31, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Arnau Bria <arnau@emergetux.net> wrote:

Hi,

I've installed wicd and configured as
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/Wicd on Fedora says.

*Just starting its daemon

But when I open it I only see my wired conection.
My wireless interface is avaliable via ifconfig:
# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan1 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-
Associated

Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption keyff
Power Managementff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

# ifconfig wlan1
wlan1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1F:3B:2A:6D:0F
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

But it does not appear in wicd client.
I'd like to use WEP keys, and I see no refernce to that option in
prefernces tab... only WPA.

Anyone with experience on wicd could give me some help, plesae?

TIA,
Arnau

Just click the tab next to each BSSID, and check "enable encryption".
Then, click the tab on what type of encryption, select WEP(hex), as
ASCII support is a bit limited. Enter in the relevent information and
join the network.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 01:52:17 +0000, Arnau Bria wrote:

> Maybe I did not explain myself correctly, but my biggest problem is
> that I do not see any wireless interface/netwrok... only my wired one
> is avalible....

You need to set the interface name in the preferences. It's probably set
to wlan0 now, when you are using wlan1.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Thou shalt not battle over operating systems. I am wise and in My wisdom
have created diverse and various operating systems."
The Ten Usenet Commandments: One

Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Saphirus Sage