Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 PM
reQuiem23

Default Gentoo from ext3 to ext4

Hi all,

i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
(cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab, add
an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot is
on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use is
gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want to
boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
system reboots.

I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
information because i can't get to a working shell

Greetings,
Niklas

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Rodolphe Rocca

reQuiem23 wrote:

[...]

grub is not compatible with ext4

Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab, add
> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot is
> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use is
> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want to
> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
> system reboots.
>
> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
> information because i can't get to a working shell

Don't know if it is related, but for me I had to put rootfstype=ext4
on the kernel commandline. Also make sure you're using
sys-boot/grub-0.97-r9, I know it has ext4 support.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab, add
> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot is
> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use is
> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want to
> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
> system reboots.
>
> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
> information because i can't get to a working shell
>
> Greetings,
> Niklas

Make sure you have /dev/console and /dev/null in place ... it's needed
*before* /dev is mounted over with tmpfs for udev.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
reQuiem23

Rodolphe Rocca-2 wrote:

> reQuiem23 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
>> add
>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
>> is
>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
>> is
>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
>> system reboots.
>>
>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
>> information because i can't get to a working shell
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Niklas
>>
> grub is not compatible with ext4

yeah, but my /boot is still ext3 and grub IS actually loading the system, it
even runs uvesafb. or is grub even incompatible with ext4 root-filesystems?
i thought this was entirely handled by the kernel.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Rodolphe Rocca <fake2@free.fr> wrote:
> reQuiem23 wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab, add
>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot is
>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
>> is
>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
>> system reboots.
>>
>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
>> information because i can't get to a working shell
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Niklas
>>

> grub is not compatible with ext4

# ChangeLog for sys-boot/grub
# Copyright 1999-2009 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/sys-boot/grub/ChangeLog,v 1.110
2009/01/02 01:51:05 robbat2 Exp $

*grub-0.97-r9 (02 Jan 2009)

02 Jan 2009; Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> +grub-0.97-r9.ebuild:
Ext4 funtime for grub-0.97 series. Remember to reinstall it in your MBR.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
reQuiem23

Joshua Murphy-2 wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
>> add
>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
>> is
>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
>> is
>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
>> system reboots.
>>
>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
>> information because i can't get to a working shell
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Niklas
>
> Make sure you have /dev/console and /dev/null in place ... it's needed
> *before* /dev is mounted over with tmpfs for udev.

can i just copy these from my existing setup? I'll try that, thanks for the
hint

Old 01-30-2009, 04:04 PM
reQuiem23

Paul Hartman-3 wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
>> add
>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
>> is
>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
>> is
>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
>> system reboots.
>>
>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
>> information because i can't get to a working shell
>
> Don't know if it is related, but for me I had to put rootfstype=ext4
> on the kernel commandline. Also make sure you're using
> sys-boot/grub-0.97-r9, I know it has ext4 support.

I actually have that parameter on the kernel command line. I'll check my
grub version, though, thank you.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rodolphe Rocca-2 wrote:
>>
>> reQuiem23 wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
>>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
>>> add
>>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
>>> is
>>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
>>> is
>>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
>>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
>>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
>>> system reboots.
>>>
>>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
>>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
>>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
>>> information because i can't get to a working shell
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> Niklas
>>>
>> grub is not compatible with ext4
>>

> yeah, but my /boot is still ext3 and grub IS actually loading the system, it
> even runs uvesafb. or is grub even incompatible with ext4 root-filesystems?
> i thought this was entirely handled by the kernel.

I have ext4 root filesystem on 2 machines running gentoo & grub and
it's working fine. Don't give up

Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul Hartman-3 wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:48 AM, reQuiem23 <niklas.baumstark@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> i just had the idea to make a new ext4 partition (via mkfs.ext4) and copy
>>> (cp) my whole root-dir into that new partition, change the /etc/fstab,
>>> add
>>> an entry to the grub.conf and booting into that new partition. My /boot
>>> is
>>> on a separate ext3 partition, so this is not a problem. The kernel i use
>>> is
>>> gentoo-sources 2.6.28-r1 with ext4-support enabled. However, when i want
>>> boot into my new system, the system starts, even the uvesafb starts, but
>>> than the booting process stops with a message like "tty starting" and the
>>> system reboots.
>>>
>>> I removed all the files in /proc /dev and /sys, so probably this could be
>>> the cause of the problem. Or does anyone have an idea what could be the
>>> problematic factor here? unfortunately i can't provide any logging
>>> information because i can't get to a working shell
>>
>> Don't know if it is related, but for me I had to put rootfstype=ext4
>> on the kernel commandline. Also make sure you're using
>> sys-boot/grub-0.97-r9, I know it has ext4 support.
>>

> I actually have that parameter on the kernel command line. I'll check my
> grub version, though, thank you.

Be sure to re-install grub to MBR as well. Just emerging it won't be
good enough.